We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

We plan to attend the Clearwater Festival with our well behaved 7 and 9 year old .We'd like to find a nice hotel or inn (pool great but not mandatory) to access the festival without a long ride but that also has stuff to do on site or in the vicinity in case the kids burn out on the festival on Day 1, hubby can go back while we hunker down on Day 2.

Also, is there anything historic or neat to see in the area while there?

7 replies to this topic
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

I've been a volunteer for Clearwater for years, and grew up near Peekskill, so am familiar with the area. Unfortunately, there aren't any places to stay in Croton on Hudson (except the Alexander Hamilton B&B which is pricey and may have limitations on children). The closest place to stay would be in Peekskill, and even that is not a place I would recommend without reservations. To find a national chain hotel in the area, you could search the towns of Ossining or Tarrytown (20 min drive max to festival.)

That being said, would you consider pitching a tent and camping? Croton Point Park has LOTS of campsites....and there are regular bathrooms and showers, fire pits, elec. hookups, etc. Staying on grounds during the festival is great!! And, the camping is far enough away from the main festival that it affords you peace and quiet.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

Oh...other things to do.......

This area is part of the Historic Hudson Valley and has some amazing museums (Sunnyside, home of Washington Irving who wrote The Headless Horseman), the Town of Sleepy Hollow (where the Headless Horseman was set) also has the Philipsburg Manor (working water wheel/mill...people in historic costumes, etc. Van Cortlandt Manor is another restored living museum from the time of the Dutch settlers and you can virtually see if from the train station/festival site. The kids may think it's a little dry, though.

For some real fun....The Cliffs at Valhalla....and INDOOR ROCK CLIMBING EXPERIENCE -- http://www.thecliffsclimbing.com/ Drive time approx. 20-25 min from Croton on Hudson RR station.

Here's a general "Things to Do in the Hudson Valley" site -- geographically may be a bit broad, but if you get a map of the Croton on Hudson area, you;ll be able see what's doable for

you.

thingstodo.com/states/NY/hudson_valley.htm

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

you could stay in Greenburgh on RTE 119 which haas many hotels such as Courtyards and othe hotels. There is a lot to do in Westchester. Get an Inn book. I am sure there are Inns. I do not know of any.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
13 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

Thank you all very much for your ideas and suggestions!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

Hi - I just returned from the River Revival and I can give you my suggestion after the fact. Perhaps it will help some people out for next year. We had such an amazing time. We live in Washington DC and drove to Tarrytown. I got a great priceline deal for the Sheraton. It's a nice hotel and the guys from Hot Tuna stayed there as well. There's a grocery store just across the parking lot where we got most of our provisions. We drove to the festival both days. On the first day, we took our time and ate a late breakfast in the downtown area of Tarrytown. This put us at the festival at around 12:30 and in a long line of cars to the train station. It wasn't too bad, people are super nice. Then we stood in a long line to the shuttles. I took this opportunity to sew up my folding chair bag so it was time well spent. We left a tad early but still managed to get in the thick of the crowds to the cars. So needless to say we learned a thing or two. On our way back to Tarrytown we scoped out a nice diner in Ossining that opened at 6am. I forgot the name of the place but it's right on the highway to Croton. The festival attracts a pretty old crowd, so things start early. Pete Seeger was scheduled to perform at noonish and Buffy St. Marie was on at 11am. So we left the hotel around 9, stopped at the diner for a leisurely breakfast, ran into 0 traffic and got a parking space right in the park. Much nicer. This gave us a chance to find a great spot to sit, it wasn't deathly hot out and got a chance to look at all the vendors. Saw some amazing performances, danced, paid our respects to the hippies and all in all had a great time.

Croton NY
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

The Alexandr Hamilton House is the only B&B in Croton. It's also got a pool and I know it accomodates families. It's about a mile walk from the festival, or the taxi can drop you at the shuttle buses- both are very doable.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
6,615 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?

Thanks for your follow up. Sounded liked fun,

Reply to: place to stay with family for Clearwater Festival?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Croton on Hudson