We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Hi we are looking to stay in the Hamptons and visit NYC ? how would we travel into NYC ? we don't want to drive, can you get a ferry ? also where is best to fly into JFK ? or is it best to stay a few days in NYC then a few days in the Hamptons, is so where ?any suggestions gratefully received. We are travelling from England

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

I'm a little confused by your post because it's a bit jumbled. What is your plan? Are you planning on flying into JFK, staying in NYC and then the hamptons for a few days?

The hamptons is about 2 1/2 hours from JFK... depending on traffic. So it really depends on you if you want to stay in nyc first or the hamptons first. Also if you don't want to drive, then i suggest you look into the train or the Hampton Jitney.

Where abouts in england are you? My aunt lives in Dacre Banks, which is about 20 minutes from Harrogate.

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Hi, thanks for your reply aliwnec10, sorry if it was confusing ! we want to visit NYC but were thinking of staying in the hamptons/long island and going in daily by train, not knowing distances there, would this be too far ? how long would it take by train to get into NYC or would it be better to stay a few days in NYC and the come onto the hamptons/orient/Montauk. What's Orient like ? We are near to the south coast of England about 300 miles from Harrogate. Look forward to your reply.

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Going from the hamptons into nyc daily by train would be way too much. Its about 2 1/2 hours by train from the hamptons to NYC. So if you can, you should stay 2 days in the city or something and then spend a few days out in the hamptons.There is no ferry to take from the hamptons to nyc. The only way to get from there to here is either train or bus (Hampton Jitney) since you don't want to drive.

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Brilliant, how useful thanks. So I think we will stay in NYC for 3 nights then have 7 nights on Long Island, where would you recommend we stay on Long Island ? we would like somewhere near to a beach with a selection of restaurants. Thanks so much for your help....also what would the weather be like in early September /

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

The weather in september is still very nice. Obviously the beginning of sept is better. It will be in the 70's.

Where in the hamptons did you want to stay? montauk? east hampton? southampton? sag harbor? It all depends on what exactly you're looking for. Let me know and i can give you more specific details.

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Hi thanks for that, I have been looking at Sag Harbour, what is that like ? we are looking for quiet area with beach and restaurants withing walking distance. Specically the Barons Cove Inn, do you know it ?

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Sag harbor is very nice. Barons Cove is right in town so it's a great location. I've never been inside so i can't really comment on how it is.

Sag Harbor is about 4-5 blocks of stores, some restaurants, the marina, etc. It's very cute. But the beach right in town isn't the typical beach. It's very calm. But if you have your car, you can always drive to Sagg Main beach for the typical beach.

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Excellent, thanks. Sag Harbour it is then...so after our stay in NYC would you recommend the train or the Jinty from NYC to Sag Harbor ? and then we would have to travel back from Sag Harbour to JFK what is the best way to do this ?

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

Definitely the Jitney!!!

The train is fine and cheaper, but you have to change trains, etc and after your long trips... the jitney would be more relaxing. Keep in mind that it's $51 round trip per person, just so you know. The Jitney also has a JFK connection so you'll be all set.

England
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday in NYC and the Hamptons

What a star you are.....thanks so much so 3 days in NYC, 7 days in Sag Harbour and the Jintney....I'm so excited....where do you especially recommend we see on Long Island whilst we are there ?

Get answers to your questions about East Hampton
Recent Conversations