We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the hamptons for the day, please advise

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
100 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting the hamptons for the day, please advise

Friends of ours are staying with us and we were thinking of taking them to the Hamptons for a day. Lived in NYC all my life and have never been there

Can anyone please advise on the best way to make the most of the day; maybe take in a beach (for an hour or so) see the different towns, shopping etc.

I live in Nassau County and we would be driving to the Hamptons during the weekday.

Is it easy to just park your car on the streets and walk around, looking in shops etc.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give me.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the hamptons for the day, please advise

Yes, you can usually find parking on the street or in the parking lots in the towns. Southhampton and East Hampton would probably be the most interesting for you. If this day trip is going to be before Labor day I would either plan to leave early in the morning or plan to spend alot of time in traffic.

As for the beach, you can drive down Dune Road in either West Hampton or Southhampton, but actually going down to the beach is going to be an expensive propostion if you are just staying an hour. There you may be better off going out to Montauk and check out the Lighthouse instead

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,929 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the hamptons for the day, please advise

Depending on when it is, it may or may not be easy to find parking. Before Labor Day, they're pretty strict about only parking for 2 hrs. and you can get a ticket is you park for longer. You can move the car and park elsewhere or go to one of the other towns. In East Hampton, there's a big car park behind the stores on Main st. Where you drive in, you take a ticket from a machine and put it on your windshield and it says what time you came out. I think there's also a long term car park a bit further out of town on Newtown Lane.

You should also know the only way to park at one of the beaches is to pay and it's pricey at around $40 for the day. I think if you live in Nassau County, the point of coming to the Hamptons is less about the beach and more about the shops, scenery and people watching.

3. Re: Visiting the hamptons for the day, please advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton