We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

saratoga
1 post
Save Topic
Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

Which is the best shopping town in the hamptons? We want to plan a weekend trip and know nothing of the area. Is one area especially good for restaurants and shopping?

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

It depends on what exactly you're looking for. Montauk is the small town place with the mom & pop stores. East Hampton has all the high end stores (Jcrew, Scoop, Ralph Lauren, Tiffanys, etc). Southampton has more boutique style stores. And if you're interested in shopping and are willing to drive... Riverhead has a huge outlet center.

If you let me know which town you are most interested in, i can give you some restaurant recommendations as well.

Mentioned in this post
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
East Hampton
East Hampton
Hamptons, NY
Southampton
Southampton
Hamptons, NY
Riverhead
Riverhead
Hamptons, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,605 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

Depends on what kind of shopping you want. Southampton and East Hampton are the largest villages with the most shops. Southampton shops tend to be a bit more conservative and East Hampton a bit trendier, but that's a generalization. Some of the smaller shops have a location in both towns. Bridgehampton has a lot of antique shops and the only real mall (Gap, Banana Republic, TJ Maxx, Talbot's etc.) but I doubt you're coming for chain stores. There are restaurants in all.

Westhampton also has shops & restaurants and is not really near the rest of the Hamptons.

If you'll have a car, it's not really that far between Southampton and East Hampton. By staying in Bridgehampton, you'd be inbetween the 2.

The bigger distance would be to Montauk.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hamptons, NY
East Hampton
East Hampton
Hamptons, NY
Hamptons
Hamptons
Long Island, NY
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
654 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

I am certainly not an expert like the responders above, but my husband and I just got back from a 4 day trip. Just like you we had never been before and decided to "wing it". We stayed in a hotel on the ocean inMontauk and really enjoyed the "village", You could walk to the local restaurants and there were several good ones there- small cafe type, mom and pop pancake houses, etc. Short drive to the lighthouse, Montauk harbor- with many waterfront seafood houses, golf course and walks on the ocean. But a short and very scenic drive down Montauk Hwy allowsed us the spend part of each day shopping and eating our way thru East Hampton, SouthHampton, Armagansett[ spelled right?] BridgeHampton and Sag Harbor. They were all beautiful!!! We went to several wineries. Actually it was one of the best trips we have taken. I think you will have a great timeand don't have to restrict yourself to one place. As stated they are close enough for you to experience them all.

Mentioned in this post
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
East Hampton
East Hampton
Hamptons, NY
Sag Harbor
Sag Harbor
Hamptons, NY
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

If you want high-end shopping than East Hampton & Southampton are the towns to go to. For trendy mom & pop shops, go to Montauk and Sag Harbor. Best places to eat in Montauk are; Harvest - for dinner, John's Pancake house, best ice cream - John's Drive In. Sag Harbor has many great restaurants too. And East Hampton and Southampton are just beautiful towns you have to take a stroll through.

Mentioned in this post
East Hampton
East Hampton
Hamptons, NY
Southampton
Southampton
Hamptons, NY
Montauk
Montauk
Hamptons, NY
Sag Harbor
Sag Harbor
Hamptons, NY
5. Re: Where to go in the hamptons for the most shopping and good...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton