We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manhattan to East Hampton for the day

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Manhattan to East Hampton for the day

I am thinking of taking the 7.49am LIRR from Manhattan to East Hampton in early October on a

Wednesday or Thursday and returning to Manhattan the same day by Jitney leaving at 6pm.

Would this work as a quick day trip and are the train and bus stations near the village to walk? And can you walk to the beach?

I would be appreciative of any further suggestions for the day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,413 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manhattan to East Hampton for the day

Both the train and the bus are a short walk into the center of town. The walk to the beach is not too bad from the center of town if you go to the closest one which I think is Wilborg. Here's a map with walking times. I've used the movie theater as a mark for more or less center of town. D is where the Jitney stops.

http://goo.gl/maps/X55s8

One concern I would have is at that time of year, many of the shops don't stay open all week and close on Tues/Wed. and some maybe on Thurs. So Thurs. would be infinitely better. The bigger issue is I don't think there will be enough for you to do for an entire day in East Hampton Village alone. It's really quite compact. You could take a taxi at some point to Sag Harbor and split the day between those 2 villages. There are some people who day day tours if you'd like to see a bit more than one village. Here's a link to a thread mentioning a guide and follow up from people who used him.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g659483-i11392-k53…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manhattan to East Hampton for the day

Thank you nywhiz for all the information. I am rethinking now as the East Hampton area really sounds more than a day trip and hopefully I can get there on a road trip in a couple of weeks.

I have been in NYC for a few days and with the warm weather enjoyed a day at Coney Island. And so have managed to see the sea!

Many thanks

3. Re: Manhattan to East Hampton for the day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton
Recent Conversations