We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hamptons, The Events and The Stars

Windsor, Ont Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
The Hamptons, The Events and The Stars

Ok, here it is. I am travelling this summer with my daughters 21, 23 and they are interested in shopping, things to do and of course stars sightings. Ok I am too..shhhh. However we enjoy spending our days at the beach, shopping and restaurants. We prefer little old fashion towns and stores. It would be nice to get up in the morning or go out for a walk in the evening and be in a little town, with access to a beach. We dont mind driving but would prefer a location that we didnt need too. I would like some suggestions on where to stay. A nice little either Chain or not. Hotel or Motel, it must be clean, cute, have a great pool and within walking distance to what I described. I am not a STAR and dont have star bux, but dont want to stay in a lets say CHALLENGED location. Perhaps between 150 and 200 a night would be great.

Thanks for any help!!

Also we are coming in relationship to any events open to the public that might be fun.

perhaps the last few weeks in July..

thanks for any help,

Joanne Rusnak

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hamptons, The Events and The Stars

Hi there Joanne!

I'm sort of confused on what to tell you. Sort of. See if you're looking for a small town with cute shops, i'd recommend Montauk or Sag Harbor. If you're looking to stay right on the beach and be able to walk 3 blocks into the center of town, than Montauk is the right choice for you. Plus for your daughters, depending on if they like going out at night to the bars or not, it has a good night scene (Oyster Pond, The Point, Memory, Lakeside, etc). For those motels located on the beach in town, i'd recomment Atlantic Terrace. I believe its about $150-$200 a night. I'd also recommend Gurneys, Montauk Yacht Club, or The Manor. Gurneys is on the beach, but is not located in town. It has a restaurant inside, a spa, exercise room, etc. Oh and it has transportation to and from town i believe. So do the other two places i mentioned. The Yacht Club is on the water as well, but it's located by the marinas. It's very pretty. Now if you stay in Montauk, you can always hop on the train and head up to East Hampton for the day to people watch or keep your eyes out for stars. Just last weekend i saw Jeff Gordon, Russel Simmons, and a few others.

This may sound odd to bring up, but trust me... i know. Do you have a license to drive in the U.S. or do either of your daughters? Just so you know, if you don't... than i would stick to cabs and walking.

Windsor, Ont Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hamptons, The Events and The Stars

Thanks for so much help. We ended up in New York City instead. Yes we do drive all of us.

We plan on doing the Hamptons next summer as we thought best to check it out from people like you, papers etc. It all seems so exciting and we have decided on East Hampton and now are looking for a summer house to rent for the month of August!

Look forward to meeting your town. It seems so enchanting.

thanks Joanne

North Fork of Long...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hamptons, The Events and The Stars

I came across your post looking for the North Fork section, that's about 15 minutes away from the Hamptons on the other side of the Peconic Bay. I'm so sorry you didn't make it out here, we have so much to offer that seems to fit your requirements! Hopefully, you'll find somewhere wonderful in East Hampton for 2007, but also don't pass over Southold and the other small towns on the North Fork. You may find them equally attractive, if not more so. It's less glitzy and more understated, but all the wineries and farmstands are on this side and Greenport has some lively bars. For shopping, go to the Tanger Mall Outlet in Riverhead, which is easily accessible for both North and South Forks.

Good Luck!

4. Re: The Hamptons, The Events and The Stars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now