We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in the Hamptons....

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,147 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
One day in the Hamptons....

Taking a road trip from NYC to Hamptons, Newport, Cape Cod, Maine coat as far as Portland then driving back to Boston before flying back to the UK.

Monday 2nd June, planning on driving from NYC to the Hamptons, staying overnight then catching the ferry over to New London then driving on to Newport.

Couple of questions:

- Assuming we arrive in the Hamptons around lunchtime, and leave around lunchtime the following day, where would you suggest we stay? Really want to see Montauk.

- Will places be open?

- Any budget places to stay? (around $150)

- Is it worth it for such a short time?

Your thoughts are really appreciated.

Thanks.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in the Hamptons....

Montauk is great, and everything should be open by then. The Hamptons are on the south fork of Long Island. Staying there presents problems on a short timetable as the ferry leaves from the north fork. The farther east you go on the south fork ( Montauk is farthest ) the longer the drive to your ferry. You could drive straight to Montauk from NYC, then start doubling back through the Hamptons towards Riverhead, which would leave you closer to the ferry and cheaper accommodations. The Hamptons are pricey. A lot of driving. Mostly on two lane roads.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,589 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in the Hamptons....

I think you may be confused about the ferry service (which is not hard given how sketchy the information is online). The ferry from Montauk to New London, Ct. doesn't take cars, only people and it doesn't seem to run on the date you need. It only seems to run Fri-Sun. that time of year. So you'd have to go to Orient Point on the North Fork for a ferry to Ct. It's certainly possible, but it's a 1 hr. 30 min. ride from Montauk to Orient Point.

http://goo.gl/maps/hfKeM

You can avoid some of the driving by taking ferries between Sag Harbor and Greenport across Shelter Island.

http://goo.gl/maps/7QnCV

I would also make sure they go on a Tuesday in early June. Right now they only post March/April dates.

https:/…Schedules.pdf

I think you could probably find a Monday night room for $150 in Montauk at that time of year. Lenhart's is a cheap and cheerful and MIGHT be around that price.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48194-d525188-…

Your other option is to drive out to Montauk, have a look and then head back toward Orient Point. You could stay in Greenport for the night if you take the ferries. Or, if you're into outlet shopping, you could drive to Riverhead to Tanger Outlets, do some shopping and stay at one of the chain hotels there like Hilton Garden Inn. It's not particularly charming, but clean and convenient.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48502-d1124518…

Last but not least, I'm sure there are places to stay in/near Orient Point if you'd prefer to just have a leisurely Monday morning.

As to the "is it worth it" question, that's always hard. I don't know what you expect to see in Montauk. It's a long drive. If you plan to take the ferry anyway, the only question is whether it's worth it to go to the Hamptons/Montauk vs. just driving out to the North Fork. Depends on your tastes I think.

3. Re: One day in the Hamptons....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2015, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about East Hampton