We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwange Nas Park

Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Topic
Hwange Nas Park

Hi

I would like to go to Hwange in June 2012. Can somebody advise camps/picnic sites please?

We are from Cape Town and will enter from Francistown and leave via Pendamatenga to Chobe.

What are the costs in the park? Can we take meat in from RSA?

Fuel availability? Showers hot/cold? Condition of roads? We do have 4x4's. Water drinkable?

Maseru
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Hwange National Park is easily accessible from either Vic Falls or Bulawayo, through the main roads that used to be good and now have many potholes. You'll be able to self-drive with a 4WD provided you know where you go.

You can find a good Google Map with some access info to Hwange here:

maps.google.fr/maps…

Fuel is now usually available in Zimbabwe, but some temporary shortages do occur, so always make sure to have full tank and/or additional tank when you travel long distance.

Water in Zim is, in principle, drinkable, but the condition of pipes and temporary issues in the network often affect its quality, so you may take some aquatabs or buy bottls if your stomach is sensitive.

In the camp, I don't know, depends where you go...

I usually recommend Ivory Lodge or Somalisa Camp, but these are quite eco-friendly / yet luxury camps. You may also ses Sikumi Tre lodge, or other camps sites.

africanbushcamps.com/camps-and-safaris/…

Edited: 05 September 2011, 10:39
Cape Town Central...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Thank you very much for the info!!

Jan

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Hi Agnes,

Thank you for updating your profile and providing more detail. You have quite an interesting journey in life so far!

Also, thank you for now revealing your connection to the travel industry and your contractor relationship with African Bush Camps. Like I said before, I have nothing against African Bush Camps and we even booked clients into their properties last month (actually Kota from our office did). I took time out of my personal family holiday to visit Somalisa and Kanga last month.

Keep in mind it is still a violation of the rules to paste the web site of any company to which you have a commercial interest. Trip Advisor is located in the USA and it is highly likely they will remove such posts this week. I always sign off with my company name and job title so people can filter the advice I give against any possible bias.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond

Maseru
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Please see tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293761-i9853-k423…

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
813 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Hi

Its would be quite difficult to give full details about Hwnage in one forum post, but here area few pointers.

National parks have several good self catering camps and facilities. The 3 major National Parks camps are Main Camp, Sinamatella and Robins camp - here you will find lodges, chalets and camping. Visit the National Parks website for full details.

There are also Commercial Safari Lodges. These companies offer high quality accommodation and hospitality. These include The Hide, Wilderness safaris, Hwange Safari Lodge and Sikumi Tree Lodge, Ivory Lodge and Somolisa

You will also find lots of discussions on Hwange on this forum 4x4community.co.za/forum/forumdisplay.php…

The south of the Park is generally where the best game viewing is. The roads are good all the way and 4x4 is on the whole not necessary .

There is not a problem taking meat into Zimbabwe, the problem comes taking meat through Botswana. This regulation seems to change continually so best to check closer to the time, but actually there is some brilliant butcheries in Bulawayo so why not just buy your meat there

Fuel is readily available at most times, and the water at Hwange is drinkable, pumped straight from the ground.

Harare, Zimbabwe
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Hi,

The Parks and Wildlife website is quite informative www.zimparks.org Through this website you will be able to find out the costs and make reservations for picnic sites in Hwange.

I am not sure what the Regs are on cross border movements of meet, however, I would recommend that you bring very little. The meet in Zim is some of the best in Africa and possibly cheaper than South Africa.

There is fuel at most fuel stations along your route, payable in USD is most common but they will accept SAR. Inside Hwange National Park, there is no fuel available.

At Hwange Main Camp, most of the lodges have hot running water, some picnic sites have the old donkey boiler hot water system. However, be prepared for the odd cold shower :-)

The roads throughout Zimbabwe are greatly improved, with the odd rough or potholed section. I have not been along the Pandamantenga Road in a long time. You are in 4x4's so you will have no problems.

The water is drinkable out of the tap in Hwange because the water is pumped from deep boreholes or aquafers. At some picnic sites the water may have alot of minerals or taste salty, so carrying some fresh water just incase is wise.

Hwange has amazing Safari Camps, which you may like to visit, if you wish to take a break from your rooftop tents? One such camp is The Hide Safari Camp www.thehide.com

Please let me know if I can assist in any other way.

Regards

Gavin

Harare, Zimbabwe
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Apologies to all. The post above is my first post on a Trip Advisor Forum. I did include The Hide's web address of which I do have a commercial interest in.

I have no objection to Trip Advisor removing my post if they so wish.

I see that Boo Peel has already recommended The Hide as well as the other great Safari Camps Hwange has to offer.

Aplogies again.

Regards

Gavin

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
84 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwange Nas Park

We will be traveling to Zimbabwe / Zambia next July and are wondering to know the best option for transportation from Livingstone to Hwange. How to find transportation by road? Also we need recommendations on lodges in Hwange. Not pricey, but clean and confortable. Thanks

Wayzata, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,810 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwange Nas Park

Clean and comfortable? I recommend the Hide or Davisons Camp. If you get on their web site and make an inquiry you can book direct or get referred to an agent in Brazil (if you ask).

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond

Victoria Falls...
Destination Expert
for Victoria Falls
Level Contributor
813 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hwange Nas Park

The Hide and Davisons are certainly beautiful camps, but are top end prices, if you can afford it they are well worth it.

Sikumi Tree lodge or Ivory Lodge in Hwange are certainly clean and comfortable, are quite reasonably priced and offer a great game viewing opportunities. Both have waterholes right in front of the lodges which are well frequented by game.

It is easy enough to get a transfer from Livingstone to Hwange, you just need to find a travel who can book this for you, but there are several companies who will travel this route, the cost from Livingstone will be approx US$90 per person. Some companies will require a minimum of 4 people.

Hope you get sorted

Tony - Victoria Falls Guide agent