We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hwange - Zimbabwe

South Africa
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hwange - Zimbabwe

Can anyone please give me feedback on staying at Parks Board accommodation in Hwange National Park. Plan to go there in May - unfortunately not camping. Which is the best accommodation and which is the nicest camp?

Di

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

All the accommodation is much of a muchness and hasn't seen a lot of maintenance or upgrading over the last decade. Having said that the staff are usually very good and do their best to keep things clean and tidy in and around camp. There are standard bungalows for self catering. Nothing fancy just basic but perfectly fine. I have stayed at Main Camp for some time and also Sinamatella. The latter has a fantastic view as it sits on top of the escarpment.

I am not sure if any of the camps have their restaurants still in operation or the petrol station at Main Camp for that matter. Main Camp may still have the little shop open but supplies would be basic. You would need to be stocked up with everything you need before you get there.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

We were last week in Main Camp (rainy season --- only a few guests).

Shop and restaurant were both open.

Main Camp has a campsite, chalets (no toilet/shower - USD35 per night), lodges (toilet/shower - USD80 per night) and cottages (multi bedroom - USD??).

We stayed in a Chalet. Basic, but perfect for us. In general the facilities are good, albeit a little outdated.

we did gamedrives with frogsafaris.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 12:46
3. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2013, 12:35
Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

Just got back from Hwange. Main camp is open, restaurant too. If you are happy with basic accomodation then main camp is fine.

5. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 August 2013, 11:35
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

nEED ACCOMODASTION FOR 3 ADULTS FROM 24TH TO 25TH OF June 2013. we have tents, but interesting in lodge, cabin, chalet etc. with two bedromms.

best regards

Monrad.fet@global-local.no

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
10 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

There are a couple of lodges within the Hwange reserve, all of them very good. Our choice is a private concession deep inside the Hwange Reserve. It is called "The Hide". I could go into all the details here, but I'll let the trip advisor reviews do that for you. The experience is direct, intense, and full of learning. By the way, I think they have a camping facility. We stayed in a luxury tent, fully serviced. Excellent.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

How can I make a reservation for Main Camp from the USA? I've tried the " booking" email for Zimparks to no avail. I'm leaving in 3 weeks.

Pat

pakjam@gmail.com

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

I will try to get the email we use to book for Hwange main camp later today.

We recently discovered a new to stay in Hwange - Kapula private camp. ( http://www.kapulacamp.com ). It is self catering, there is a fridge and everything else you need. Really an excellent place to stay and great value for money.

Linkie Groenewald

Owner Truly Africa Tours

Edited: 13 August 2013, 09:57
Heerhugowaard, The...
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hwange - Zimbabwe

Was there any Diesel available in Maincamp?

Edited: 24 August 2013, 20:46