We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

California
13 posts
Save Topic
Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

We are trying to decide between staying at Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi for 3 nights after our canoe safari in Mana Pools. Can anyone share any insight on which one is better? I think Kanga is more expensive but I am trying to figure out if its worth it. Is there a difference in location, quality, etc?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
900 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

I haven't heard of either of these camps (despite visiting mana almost annually for the last 12 years!)

Do you have any more details please? Web links etc. - I may then be able to assist.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

Kanga Camp is managed by African Bush Camps. African Bush Camps is owned by Beks Ndlovu - a Zimbabwean guide who used to work for Wilderness Safaris. Beks was a phenomenal guide and runs a tight ship, the camps in my opinion are excellent value and it's always great to support a homegrown Zimbabwean.

africanbushcamps.com/camps-and-safaris/…

Camp Zambezi - I don't have much personal experience of this particular camp but I do know that Zambezi Co book it.

http://www.zambezi.com/safari/camp_zambezi

In my opinion having looked at the website for Zambezi Camp, I would say that the accommodation at Kanga is more luxurious, Kanga is also on the Pan - which is always a great place to be for game viewing. Not too sure where Zambezi Camp is per se, but it's on the river so you would have good game viewing here too.

Both are eco-friendly camps...I think you would have a good time whichever option you go for but as I have personal experience of African Bush Camps I would recommend them without hesitation.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

Neither one. IMO, There are better options, and probably less expensive.

California
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

Thanks. So then what would you recommend instead? Would you mind providing some additional insight as to why you don't like either of those camps?

Thank you.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

Can you tell us more about what you have booked in Mana Pools so far. Where do you start the canoe safari and where do you pull out? And who you are doing the canoe safari with? Might make a big difference in my suggestions.

Zimbabwe
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

With regard to your enquiry - could you confirm the experience you are hoping to get from your trip to Mana Pools. There are a number of options available in Mana Pools - all of which would provide you with varying levels of accomodation and activities available.

If you are looking for more of a River experience which incorporates fishing as well game viewing and walking safaris, then a combination between a shoreline camp such as Zambezi Lifestyles camp

and the inland Kanga Camp

which provides more of a luxury experience would be a great option.

harare
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

camp zambezi is run by natureways safaris...www.natureways.com....or contact Pam at reservations@natureways.com. both r great experiences, kanga more up market fixed site camp in private concession away from river, over looking a waterhole. camp zam is mobile temporary tented camp based at one of the national parks exclusive sites overlooking the zambezi river. you can canoe, walk and safaridrive from camp zam. both can be recommended, if you have time and finances then do both for the full mana pools experience. speak to Pam.

usa
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

So what are the two best camps to get both canoeing/water experience and then game viewing in the more internal areas of the park? Or is the park small enough this can be accomplished from just one camp? I am especially interested in the Chitake Springs area. Thanks.

harare
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

camp zambezi is right on the river and gives you canoeing, walking with professional guides and safari drives to view wildlfe both in the alluvial zones and the mopane woodlands away from the river. chitake is 60kms from the river and best done as at least a 3 (or more) night stand alone experience. it is a very intense and wild place best explored on foot again with a pro guide, which is what zim is really known for. being on foot is not for the faint hearted but is the best way of experiencing nature.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
900 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanga Camp or Camp Zambezi?

100% agree with vundu50 that viewing wildlife on foot is unforgettable.

Also, as has been said, Chitake is set well away from the most visited & famous areas of the park which lie adjacent to the Zambezi. Chitake is tucked under the escarpment & ~1 hours drive from Main Camp.

Up until very recently, Steve Pope ran a fantastic camp in Chitake, but sadly Steve died earlier this year. I am not now aware of any tour operators running camps here.

There are 2 remote wilderness camps in are area run by National Parks but you have to be totally self-contained to stay here.

We were due to stay at Chitake Camp 1 last October (but bailed out and headed for the river when we saw haw bad the flies were) over the period this happened:

http://www.thezimbabwean.co.uk/articles/35409

So, camping at Mana is certainly not for the faint-hearted.

Get answers to your questions about Mana Pools National...