We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay at Goliath camp?

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
276 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay at Goliath camp?

I'm planning to stay for three days at Goliath Camp in September, Is this long enough especially as I'll also be staying three days at Vundu Camp. I'm primarily interested in wild

dogs, elephants and birds. I spent 4 days at Vundu Camp and loved it due to it's superb position

and guiding. I'll also be doing a 3 day canoe safari from Vundu Camp.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

Given that you will be canoeing from Vundu, I would stay a minimum of 4 nights with Goliath if circumstances permit.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

I'll follow your advice and stay one day longer at Goliath.

Sussex
Destination Expert
for Mana Pools National Park, Marco Island
Level Contributor
939 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

I don't think you will regret it - have a great time.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

Thank you. do you also like Vundu Camp? Unfortunately relatively few travel agents specializing in Africa know let alone like to direct customers to Goliath Camp. They tend to send the few visitors who visit Mana Pools to Ruckomechi Camp.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

Africaman- you should try safaritalk.net. Lots of Mana Pools knowledge (and some great trip reports) over there.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

Thank you as always for your advice. I also share your high opinion of www.expertafrica.com

Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

Hi,

concerning wildlife, game viewing and possible activities we wouldn´t expect any differences between Vundu and Goliath, as both camps are located at the riverbank. What makes Goliath so different is the guiding by Stretch, after three days you will know.

Keep in mind, that all of your stay in Mana Pools is at the riverside. You might want to consider a camp like Kanga, which is located in the bush some 10 miles away from the Zambezi. As you are going in September it should be quite dry and the Kanga Pan is the only source of water at that time. The waterhole in front of the camp is pumped and animals are virtually best viewed sitting on the viewing deck or in front of the tent, while game driving is far less exciting. During our stay (3 nights) in October 2012 we saw leopards, lions, civets, porcupine,... Not to mention the two dozens of wild dogs that stayed for a whole day around that waterhole. For us it has been a relaxing end to our Zim round-trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

The longer you stay in any one place the better you increase your chances of seeing more animals and having fantastic experiences. I would stay the maximum amount of time that you can afford and you will be unlikely to regret it. With regard to Kanga I would not say it is as highly recommended but I would definitely say that in my opinion don't ever see camping on the riverside as a negative. I have just spent 3 days in Mana Pools this last weekend and it was incredibly hot and the urge to be near the water as often as possible is extremely high!! Remember that at Goliath you have the opportunity to get out of your vehicle and do lots of walking, exploring and tracking for animals. You will spend plenty of time away from the water and deep in the bush tracking lions and experiencing it all. Then it is so lovely to return to the riverside for a lazy few hours reading your book by the water waiting for the afternoon activity or returning at the end of the day for a sundowner at sunset.

Hope you have a fantastic trip!

9. Re: How long to stay at Goliath camp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Mana Pools National...