We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Cambridge
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Hi,

We - a group of three - were looking at canoe safaris in or near Mana Pools, but found the prices a little steep: $750pp for a 4 day / 3 night canoe safari from Chirundu to Mana Pools, with Natureways. Are there cheaper options, or ways to spend less money e.g. a 1 day canoe trip in Mana Pools? Or is this just the standard rate?

Some fixed arrangements mean that we will be in Lusaka beforehand, and going on to Vic Falls after (presumably back via Lusaka).

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

You are being offered a very reasonable price. I paid much more, however, I had the luxury of a fellow canoeist, and my own armed guide. You should ask Natureways to put you into a larger group as this way you will save money.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Hi

It might be worth your while contacting River Horse Safaris as well. They operate mostly from the Zambian side opposite Mana Pools and offer good rates. http://www.riverhorsesafaris.com/

Linkie Groenewald - Truly Africa Tours

Cambridge
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Thank you to both for your helpful replies!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
35 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Hi, I wondered whether you had been able to make contact with River Horse Safaris as I have been unable to get hold of them by Facebook or email and wondered if they are still in operation?

Thanks,

Liz

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

US$750 ppp day is outrageous imo! Every operator needs to make a fair return but with canoeing the overheads are not high. I canoed in 1992 and spent 2 days on Zambezi. Yes prices have risen but it was a fraction of yr quote. Assuming you meet canoe guides at Kariba or Chirundu for a 3 day/3 night trip i would only pay $150/ppp day TOPS! That's assuming 3 canoes 5 tourists one guide.

Kariba, Zimbabwe
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Hi sj607, Sorry to hear our rates put you off the canoe safari! Please let us know when you are hoping to travel we have some great specials for July 2014! africanman_840 is absolutely right, we can always add you to an existing safari which could help with the price.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

My wife and are are going to Victoria Falls, Hwange, Mana Pools and Malilangwe for 27 days plus 2 travel days and we are paying $646 PP per day.

I'm happy to stimulate the Zimbabwe economy and hope to have a great time.

Fees are what they are and it does no good to get angry as there's always another place to visit and less expensive - the market self corrects.

~Lucky Chucky

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Not sure if you already left but I have just canoed this Chirindu to Mana Pools in July and I think the price was so worth it and much cheaper than many other game tours. Natureways was brilliant picking us up in Kariba driving to chirindu, all food included, which was also brilliant, fresh fruit, veges, full cooked breakfast etc, Plus these are trained guides with knowledge and safety and totally are worth it. We had the time of our life and I would highly recommend them, our charter flight from mana pools didnt leave til 2 pm so while other travellers went back to Kariba in the morning we got provided a driver and a guide and they provided us a free game drive for about 3 hours at no extra charge and delivered us to the airstrip. If you go with a zambia group check if you are allowed to land on zimbabwe soil cos mana pools is where you want to end up, it is amazing.

West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools

Jules4house - we leave on Tuesday! So excited. My wife is driving me crazy with her worrying about ever detail but can't wait to visit Mana Pools. Hope to see a baby Hippo!

~Lucky Chucky

Reply to: Cheaper options for canoe safari in/near Mana Pools
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mana Pools National...