We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging money when there

boston
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging money when there

Hi

I have seen in many places about the good rates you get rather than at home.

However my boyfriend doesn't want the hassle if you have to haggle for a good rate etc.

Is it really simple to just exchange your £s into Ds

We are travelling out to Kotu on the 4th April. I am really excited but i will regret getting all our money changed in advance if when we get there we realise how simple it would be to make it go further

Thank you

Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging money when there

It really isn't any hassle getting your money exchanged in Gambia. There are many western union and other foreign exchange places. The rates are normally advertised and are generally competetive and comparative. Maybe if you are exchanging for a large amount (£100) you could try for an extra 1 dalasi / pound. If you get 45d in Gambia in a foreign Exchange Bureau, you generally find the hotel rate will be about 40 dalasi so it really is worth the visit to the fioreign exchange.

Ian

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging money when there

rachwBoston,

Welcome to the Gambia Forums..!!

Don't change before you go....

It is very easy to change over there, just ask for best price..

Hope you have good time..!!

Rich....

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging money when there

agree with all thats already been said, change over there, its not a problem

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging money when there

There are loads of money exchanges. Walk in, rate will be advertised on the board. Generally you will get half a dalasis more than rate advertised on board if you ask. Its no hassle. Even if you accept the rate displayed you ill get at least 15% more than uk price. Met one couple last week who had got 37d in uk and I got 46d same week without much haggling.

Ellesmere Port...
Level Contributor
571 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging money when there

My experience of exchanging was as easy as the above posters have said. When we went out at night and walked past them, there would be a guy outside asking us if we wanted to change money. I always asked what the rate was and if he said 43 or 44 I would just say no thanks I`ll go to the next one. Quick as a flash he would say 45. No hassle at all.

Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchanging money when there

NEVER change money in Uk. every exchange bureau in Gambia gives a good rate, also most restaurant and bar owners will also give a good rate. all you need to do is ask. its dead simple

current rate is about D45 for cash ( less for Travellers checks) always take Cash only to gambia

england
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchanging money when there

when changing money in TG count it. It's amazing how many times its 100 or 200 D light.

They always try it, cant blame themi guess but when they realise u counting they give it straight away

london
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchanging money when there

We just ask our bank to save £50 notes for us (yes, can you believe they don't have a wad daily in the til!) which makes the wallet very lightweight. Easy to hide if don't have a reliable safe and very easy and safe to exchange over there. Just hand over one bill and receive hundreds of bills in return!

You can tip porters with a pound coin, both at airport and hotel. If you are really stuck and can't get to an exchange bureaux you can just exchange the absolute minimum at your hotel until you're able to do so.

Just remember that they will all try to convert those pound coins back into dalsai on your departure at a very, very low rate!

Have a great time and enjoy the blue skies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchanging money when there

I don't understand people who tip in coins, as you can't change it and have to rely on other english tourist to change it. Just tip in dalasi

10. Re: Exchanging money when there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Kotu
Recent Conversations
More Kotu Topics