We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in gambia

Bedale, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
198 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in gambia

Hello, we have just booked 11 nights over Christmas at the kombo beach hotel, we have never been abroad for Christmas so hope we get some nice subnshine! Has anyone been in kotu over Xmas that can advise me? Not sure what on really! Just general information? My daughter is 7 and it will be her 8th bithday over there.

I love reading about other peoples experiences so any feedback is great xx

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in gambia

Hello,

i stayed at Palma Rima last xmas for 3 weeks, i was also there for new year! There is no major celebrations but one thing is for sure, you will have the most amazing weather! We had 21 days of sunshines around 26+ degrees sometimes topping 35+!

The strip of senegambia offers a wide range of bars and restaurants which have entertainment so there is never a boring night and your hotel will offer shows each night etc plus a gala dinner at xmas eve.

I love the Gambia and have family there and i can not wait to return this christmas for another 2 weeks! Everyone is friendly and very helpful and it is the "smiling coast" You will love it! After last year i would never have xmas in the UK again, waking up christmas morning, going by the pool in the hot weather watching he monkeys run around the pool "priceless". I spend xmas day taking a suitcase of gifts to village kids and loved every minute of it!!!

Hope this helps.

Lauren x

Bedale, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in gambia

That is a great help thanks, we are not taking huge amounts of luggage, we will be taking all the usual holiday things and will be taking a few small presents for Megan for her Christmas and birthday. I was going to ask about visiting local villages, orphanages/ children, is this something you can do and will be appreciated?

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in gambia

Im sure Del (Heledd) will help you with visiting schools etc. She is involved with a village school about 15 minutes taxi drive from your hotel and will make you and your daughters visit very memorable.

The school is very basic and the kids are amazing.

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
456 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in gambia

my 1st 4 years at xmas were spent at the kombo and well the 1st is always the best, gala,s on xmas and new years eve so you dont need to go out those nights. but do go and explore out of the area lots of interesting things to see. xmas day on the beach oh bliss its fantastic. never had a xmas in the uk now since 2005.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in gambia

Yeah i agree with Bill, speak with Del (Heledd) she has lovely days at the beach with the kids! There are lots of places to visit, schools, nurserys etc! But Speak with (Heledd) on here...

You will love it.

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas in gambia

You are very welcome to join us at our beach days if you want. I think your daughter would enjoy because the children are about the same age as her.

I have a video of the latest beach day (which a TA member paid for) at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmVToHiJ0Qk

And also photos of the same day at

…photobucket.com/albums/…

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,512 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas in gambia

great stuff, but dont you ever get sick of the drums lol

Bedale, United...
Level Contributor
263 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas in gambia

I looked at the video, it looked great and I would love for my daughter to meet children her age and see how different people live. Can I ask how the beach days etc work then and what it's all about? :)

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas in gambia

No Sunny - every beach day is different, because we have different children. I like the children to learn more of their local language songs, and also their traditional instruments. Am hoping to get a kora player to join us sometime. From next season, what I am doing is that if anyone pays for a beach day in advance, (£20) I will arrange it all. Other people are also welcome to come, but as long as someone contributes, I'm happy.

Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas in gambia

Sunny - as for being sick of drumming - after a while it just becomes background music - as I'm typing this there is drumming somewhere in the village.

Get answers to your questions about Kotu
Recent Conversations
More Kotu Topics