We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many questions

england
Level Contributor
298 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
So many questions

Hello!

I hope someone can help but we are looking going to The Gambia in January.

What's it like weather wise then?

What hotels would people recommend? We have been looking at Palm Beach, Sunset or Badala?

Injections. What do you need? We wouldn't be able to get anything till September, would this be too late because I heard that you might need boosters?

Also would anyone know the cost of injections?

Many thanks in advance. Probably more questions as I think of them

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many questions

Welcome ot the forum. Can't help with hotels but I don't think Badala will be on the recommended list.

Weather should be great. In the mid 30's during the day but it doesn't feel too hot but drops to 20 or below at night and can feel chilly so sometimes long sleeves or a wrap are recommended.

No injections are necessary but it is a matter of choice. Most people say anti malaria tablets are a must. Only three are recommended for TG and some have side effects so consult your Doctor or Travel Nurse but do your own research first. You will require a private scrip but if you purchase online you can fill in a form and get the tablets delivered. Two are daily tabs and one is one a week. The one a week you take 2 weeks before and 4 weeks after your return.

Any questions put them in the search box at the top of the page. If you can't see what you are looking for we are a friendly bunch (in the main) so ask away.

Manchester
Level Contributor
540 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many questions

You don't need yellow fever

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So many questions

but if you can afford it have it but check with your GP first ,I wont go into the many posts iv put up about YF,but if you want more info about it just type Y,fever in the search box

London, United...
Level Contributor
393 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many questions

My choices in order

1st sunset beach

2nd Palma rima

3rd badala park

You'll you need Anti malaria tablets, I always go for the malarone as it's once a day during your 7 days after and 1-2 days before going but it's the most expensive.

Only need yellow fever if you're going Senegal , prices varies . I find superdrug is the cheapest for malarone .

Before taking our advice seek medical advice. Your gp or nurse will help you

Bakau, Gambia
Level Contributor
3,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: So many questions

Len just to put you in the picture ,Every person in Gambia is vaccinated when the reach 9 months old ,their is an ongoing plan to catch up and vaccinate older people who missed out due to the date this scheme was started WHY ,I will not go into the pros and cons of having it but leave that decision up to you but for around 0.16 pence a day for 10 years protection agains catching something THAT WILL KILL YOU seems good value to me ,plus it gives you acess to many other countries that insist you have had it ,like iv posted before their has not been a case of Yellow Fever reported for a long time in Gambia,due to everyone being protected via the vaccination ,the only person who is open to risk is the un-vaccinated Tourist ,people will tell you you are throwing your money down the drain ??? Better than throwing your life down the drain I say ,

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So many questions

Although the certificate only lasts for 10 years WHO now say that protection can be for life:

<<<< ....The yellow fever vaccine is safe and affordable, providing effective immunity against yellow fever within 10 days for 80–100% of people and 99% immunity within 30 days. A single dose of yellow fever vaccine is sufficient to confer sustained immunity and life-long protection against yellow fever disease and a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine is not needed....>>>

www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs100/en/

There are issues to consider for those over 60 yrs old... see the 4th paragraph in the Prevention/1. Vaccination section of the above link.

Washington Engaland
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So many questions

Out of the hotels that you mention I would only consider Sunset. Avoid Badala completely. I always stay at The Kombo or gave also used Bakotu, both really good especially The Kombo. They are in Kotu which is quieter that Kololi or Senagambia but easy and cheap to travel in a taxi if you want a more lively night or different restaurant and a nice walk during the day.

and like the advice above do not travel without Yellow Fever and your anti Malari tablets - but a great place to visit, hot weather, nice scenery and lovely people.

Washington Engaland
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So many questions

Out of the hotels that you mention I would only consider Sunset. Avoid Badala completely. I always stay at The Kombo or gave also used Bakotu, both really good especially The Kombo. They are in Kotu which is quieter that Kololi or Senagambia but easy and cheap to travel in a taxi if you want a more lively night or different restaurant and a nice walk during the day.

and like the advice above do not travel without Yellow Fever and your anti Malari tablets - but a great place to visit, hot weather, nice scenery and lovely people.

9. Re: So many questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Kotu
Recent Conversations
More Kotu Topics