We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mole National Park

Laguna Beach, CA...
3 posts
Save Topic
Mole National Park

We are flying from Accra to Tamale and will rent a car in Tamale. How far a drive is it from Tamale to Mole?

Marcia Barnett

marciadbarnett@yahoo.com

5 replies to this topic
toronto
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mole National Park

Stay away from this rip off tourist trap. Youl will hardly see any animals but will definitely fight with the staff when they make you pay more upon exit.

Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mole National Park

What you keep telling people is not true, you may have had one isolated bad experience but please stop telling people this. I found the staff to be fine, and even better when you treat them with respect and joke around with them.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
383 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mole National Park

I agree, as seen elsewhere been there several times and all good, despite the occasional warm beer lol. Go and enjoy, a great place. Jon

Accra, Ghana
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mole National Park

Hello Marcia,

It is about a 5 hour drive from Tamale to Mole National Park, with the last 3 hours being on one of the worst roads in Ghana. It is slow and bumpy going!

Mole National Park is reasonably well set up to cater for tourists and although it is more expensive than many other parts of Ghana it is well worth a visit.

Be sure and ask for Sammy Amponsah when you arrive. He is the best guide at Mole National Park and has been a wildlife expert there for 20 years. He will ensure that things go smoothly for you and will know where to find available wildlife.

Because of this lack of predators, safaris can be done of foot – a unique experience that is quite different from the vehicle safaris in southern and eastern Africa. To actually walk so close to elephants is an exhilarating experience you will not ever forget!

The walking safaris usually take place in the late afternoon (4pm) and the early morning (6am).

If you have your own 4x4 you can go on a driving safari (again with an armed ranger), this gives you the opportunity to cover a much wider area of the park. You can also arrange at the park for a full day driving safari.

The Mole Park Lodge has a viewing platform which overlooks a watering hole. Especially during the dry season (December-March), you will generally see herds of elephants grazing and bathing in the early morning or in the evening a couple hours before the sun sets. But if you travel visit at other times when water is more plentiful, the elephants are more disperse and you many see few or none at all.

While at Mole National Park, we also recommend visiting the ancient mud-and-stick mosque at Larabanga, or making an excursion to the nearby Mognori Cultural Village for a canoe safari or a cultural programme including drumming and dancing.

san francisco
Level Contributor
101 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mole National Park

I think a big issue with tourists at the Mole National Park is the season that they visit the park. If you want to see insects come between June and November; if you want mammals (elephants especially), come during the dry season from December to May/June. The later in the dry season that you come, the more animals you will see as other watering holes in the park dry up, and the large watering hole near the hotel becomes the only option for animais.

I was there in December 2011 (beginning of dry season), and I saw: elephant, warthog, waterbuck, bushbuck, kob, red monkeys, green monkeys, baboons, crocodiles, monitor lizard, turtle, and over 60 species of birds. Insect levels were satisfactory.

Regarding the hotel, see my review of the hotel (separate review); in general, the complaints about the hotel are not justified, though the lack of a real shower was uncomfortable at times.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 14:00
Reply to: Mole National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mole National Park
More Mole National Park Topics