We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SLNP in August 2013

Cape Town Central...
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SLNP in August 2013

Hi we intend doing 6-8 nights in August 2013 in SLNP. We intend staying outside the park Maybe split between Marula & Flat Dogs. Also intend doing a couple of full day drives and walking safaris.

In august for full day drives and walks which areas are best (considering that we will be travelling from outside the park)?

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SLNP in August 2013

The most interesting routes for you highly depend on whether you'll be driving your own car or not. We've always visited SLNP with our own 4x4, which gave us huge independence.

- Mfuwe-Lions Plain-Mfuwe is a beautiful day tour, in scenery as well in game sightings.

- Neglected by most people is the Nsefu-area: part of the park, but almost no one ever thinks about spending there more time than is necessary for a transit to the north. Such a pity: we've had some of our most spectacular sighting to date in this area. Also perfectly feasible in one day, although more time wouldn't hurt either...

I'd also suggest you do don't miss up on the opportunity of joining one or two night drives. Any camp (both inside and outside the park) offers them.

Cape Town Central...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: SLNP in August 2013

thanks so much Zeger. We will definitely try and do a day trip to Lion Plains.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SLNP in August 2013

From Marula and Flatdogs you can do guided open vehicle game drives, and I would certainly recommend that for the afternoon drives, because if you drive yourself you have to be out the park by 6pm while the open safari vehicles can stay after dark until 8pm. The evening is the best time to see leopards (the Mfuwe area is very good for leopards and for general game viewing, but it is also the busiest). You can also head a bit further south and enter via the pontoon, which also gives access to a very nice area of the park. To get to the Nsefu area you will need to turn north in the village of Mfuwe and then drive about an hour and a half. There are some beautiful open areas and marshy areas in the Nsefu sector, fed by a natural hot spring which attracts a lot of wildlife.

If budget allows, I would recommend staying a night or more at Tafika Lodge in the Nsefu area, so you can do a microlight flight over the Luangwa river. This must be one of the most amazing ways to see the Luangwa. They also offer cycling safaris on mountain bikes. Highly recommended.

Hope this helps.

Onne from Wild Wings Safaris

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SLNP in August 2013

You might want to check out Zikomo Safari Camp. They have a pride of lions that have been in and around the camp for over 2 weeks. They have made kills in the camp the last couple days. Check out their Facebook page.

Cape Town Central...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: SLNP in August 2013

Hi Wild Wings and Luangwablondes, thank you for the great tips.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: SLNP in August 2013

>You can also head a bit further south and enter via the pontoon

wildwings- are you sure that Flatdogs and Marula are allowed to use the pontoon? I'm not sure myself, but I know not all camps can use it, as it is paid for and maintained by a group of camps and I think only those that contribute can use it. I've stayed at Flatdogs before and have never used the pontoon nor was it mentioned as an option. I've also stayed at other camps that use the pontoon (Kafunta and Kapani) and I've never seen a Flatdogs vehicle using it. The camps I know for sure are allowed to use it are the Norman Carr camps, the Robin Pope Camps and Kafunta River Lodge.

I am not sure what the purpose of combining Marula and Flatdogs would be, as both are located just outside the park's main gate and will do drives in the same area.

Flatdogs offer some packages that make more sensible combinations as the other camp is in a totally different area of the park- eg with Lion Camp or Chikoko (see http://www.flatdogscamp.com/special-packages/). Chikoko is a walking only bushcamp, Lion Camp offers both walks and drives.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,922 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: SLNP in August 2013

I have also just noticed you are from South Africa. Make sure you check out if camps have SADC rates. If they do, this could make some of the more expensive camps work out better value than the budget options. Most won't advertise these rates- you'd have to ask.

Cape Town Central...
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: SLNP in August 2013

thank you so much stokey girl. I will check it out.

nz
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SLNP in August 2013

Hi Stokey girl

What would you recommend for a 8 day trip to Zambia in October(we do not need to go to vic falls as we have been there from the ZImbabwean side) - we will be based near Mkushi - can you recommend any house boats on Kariba.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
72 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SLNP in August 2013

Stokeygirl, we crossed the river one day using the pontoon when staying at Flatdogs in August 2012

Get answers to your questions about South Luangwa National...