We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mfuwe Airport money exchange/use of Kwachas

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
862 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Mfuwe Airport money exchange/use of Kwachas

How easy is it to exchange money at Mfuwe Airport?

We arrive from Lilongwe and I believe we can pay entry visa in $US; but if I get it right we need Kwachas for the tax on our later flight to Lusaka as well as for other local expenses.

And while I'm here, has anything come of the 'must pay for everything in Kwachas' rule discussed last year?

Mentioned in this post
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mfuwe Airport money exchange/use of Kwachas

I last went to South Luangwa in Aug 12 and you still had to get Kwachas to pay the departure tax, but I've just booked a trip for 2014 and I was told Proflight have now included it in the ticket price. I don't know when the switch occcurred- I would ask your tour company for the latest info.

The laws about paying in Kwacha still exist.

There are ATMs at both Lusaka and Mfuwe, or you can change cash.

Mentioned in this post
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mfuwe Airport money exchange/use of Kwachas

There is an exchange place or bank at the Mfuwe airport which has been open at every flight time we have been there.

3. Re: Mfuwe Airport money exchange/use of Kwachas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 07:18