We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
448 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

We are looking at staying in Queretaro for two nights towards the end of August. In looking through the available hotels in centro, they seem to be all over the scale. We lean towards the traditional Mexican style hotels in converted haciendas preferably with an open courtyard to relax and a decent sized room with a balcony or patio. Fancy amenities mean little since we are constantly on the go. In looking through the list of available hotels in centro, the Hotel Hidalgo caught my eye but negative comments about noise and hard beds did get my attention. Having stayed right on the zocalo in Puebla, we did learn about excessive noise and that hotel had beds we swore were made of marble chunks. Would enjoy any comments about the Hotel Hidalgo or recommendations on other options up to about $90USD/night.

As for restaurants, recommendations for good to great "walk to" restaurants in centro would be appreciated. We are receptive to all types of foods.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

I really liked La Casa del Naranjo hotel and one block away, Restaurante Fin de Siglo. Both are right in the Centro, a block or two from the main square.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g479232-d153230…

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g479232-d2…

San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

I usually stay at El Mesón De La Luna Hotel, centro .......about $35 a night,restaurant , bar with fantastic min. car collection.......

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

IMO if you have a problem with hard beds Mexico is not a great destination for you as it is the norm. I personally love them but then I'm a bit of a old grouch.

I've had amigos who swear by the Hidalgo prompting me to book a room there for February.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
371 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

I have never found a bed in a Mexican hotel that was not hard.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,355 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

Found one. My bed at La Casa del Naranjo (link above) was uncharacteristically deep and soft.

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

Ditto Casa Del Naranjo. Better than my bed at home. The only complaint was that the night clerk got bored about midnight and decided to chop up the dead Christmas tree with a machete.

Hotel Hidalgo is probably the best value in centro. I found the beds more mushy than hard, with the typical ill-fitting sheets that inevitably end up half off the mattress in the morning. But at under $40 US it's hard to beat. Nice courtyard, but street side rooms typically a little noisy.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

IMO there is a difference between a hard uncomfortable bed and a firm comfortable bed. I am a 70 or even a 75 on a Sleep Number bed but find that a box spring with a half inch pillow top (and no real mattress) really doesn't cut it. I might have agreed that there was no such thing as comfortable beds in Mexico back in the late 90's or early 2000's but believe it or not, progress has been made! On our approved list of hotels with comfortable beds: Meson de San Antonio (Patzcuaro), Casa del Retono (Tlaquepaque), La Casa de la Marquesa (Queretaro), Marriott Puebla, Hotel Ejecutivo (Guadalajara), Hotel CasAntica (Oazaca), Camino Real (Chapala & Guanajuato) and Casa Zuniga (Guanajuato). A hotel that is quiet, clean, comfortable and has comfortable beds for us can be assured that we will return and will get positive reviews from us.

As for the Hotel Hidalgo in Queretaro mentioned by one poster, we have nothing overly negative to say but it just didn't fit our needs at the time. I was fascinated by the history and surprised that they really have done nothing to play off of it!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
448 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

And interior rooms at the Hotel Hidalgo a bit claustrophobic with no exterior window and just a over the door transom window to let in fresh air to a rather confining room.

9. Re: Hotels & Restaurants in Centro Queretaro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Queretaro City