We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our New York trip

Owensboro
Level Contributor
116 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Our New York trip

We'll be in the Ithaca area for six days this month.

We're staying at King Ferry.

I'm thinking of taking a day trip to Niagara Falls, another day trip to Corning Glass Works, visiting two State parks to see the waterfalls and gorges, spend one day boating on Cayuga Lake, and one day tooling around Ithaca.

Does this sound like too much? Am I missing anything important?

What falls/state parks are your favorites?

Are there places to rent a boat at the lake?

Thank you.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our New York trip

I don't think it sounds like too much. My only concern would be doing Niagara Falls in one day, but then again, I hate driving a lot in one day. If you're talking about going to Niagara Falls, NY, it's going to take you about 4 hours to drive in each direction. It's definitely doable if you get up early and arrive home in the evening.

Our favorite parks are Taughannock Falls State Park, in Trumansburg.... http://www.taughannock.com/

Both upper and lower Treman State Park....http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkId=104 DEFINITELY the most amazing waterfall/swimming hole in NY State IMO !!!!!! Upper Treman for amazing gorge walks/hikes, and lower for the swimming!

The best supermarket/superstore/food experience... Wegman's in downtown Ithaca!

There are lots of boat rental companies in/around Ithaca and Cayuga Lake in general. All you have to do is Google and dial them up to get specifics on things such as do you take the boat yourself, is it a cruise with a captain piloting the boat, etc.

Lovely area...great city...have fun!

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,556 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our New York trip

I personally would skip Niagara Falls unless you spend a night near there. There is plenty to do and see in the Ithaca vicinity.

When you head to Corning, stop in Watkins Glen along the way and visit the spectacular gorge at Watkins Glen State Park. If you like western art, the Rockwell museum in Corning is worth a look as well.

Robert Treman State Park is my favorite in the area (best hike and most diverse scenery IMHO) but Taughannock and Buttermile State Parks are beautiful too and definitely worth visiting. The falls at Taughannock are a must see.

Near King Ferry, a couple of dining recommendations are the Aurora Inn and Pumpkin Hill Bistro. If you want to see eagles, head north along the lake from Aurora to the Montezuma Wildlife refuge.

The weekend Ithaca Farmers Market is worth checking out - it is at the foot of the lake (there are signs off of Route 13).

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our New York trip

Corning MOG is a 1/2 day trip, not a whole day, so the suggestion to wrap that into a Watkins Glen State Park trip is a good idea. Corning from King Ferry is a haul though, it takes about 50 minutes to get to Corning from downtown Ithaca, and add on the 20-25 minutes to whatever area in King Ferry you are in. Watkins Glen back to Ithaca is about 30 minutes.

Remember these are mainly 2 lane roads around here, not much in the way of highways.

The Farmer's Market is a great suggestion. This is on Saturday. http://www.ithacamarket.com/home.php for info.

It is more than just produce! You get a great taste of 'Ithaculture', you can take an educational boat trip right from the dock, and there are great vendors with a huge variety of interesting food for lunch. Plus wineries, crafts, art, jewelery.

Actually, I don't know of any boat rentals on Cayuga Lake, other than the Kayak Rental place in Ithaca. Cornell U. has an outdoor education program that has sailboats and canoes, but I don't know the rental policies.

There is Cayuga Lake Cruises, which at least gets you out on the lake for those dinner/happy hour cruise things.

Owensboro
Level Contributor
116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our New York trip

Thank you so much for all of the information! That's really great!!!

I can't wait to get there!

Owensboro
Level Contributor
116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our New York trip

We're loving our stay in the Finger Lakes.

Highlights are the Corning Glass Museum with it's very modern and exquisitely beautiful art glass displays. The glass blowing class was fabulous and fun! It's well worth the one hour drive from Ithaca.

We've made Ithaca Bakery our new home for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (we've eaten there every day). What a gigantic selection of food! And all of it is outrageously delicious.

Moosewood was really a treat. The vegetarian restaurant served hearty and tasty food. Definitely a not-miss restaurant.

We enjoyed Buttermilk Falls this morning despite the rain. The huge swimming area at the bottom of the pools was closed (no lifeguards on duty), but the falls are a few hundred yards from the parking lot, which makes it very easy to get too. The picnic tables made for a great place to eat our sandwiches from Ithaca Bakery.

We've spent time daily at Ithaca College at the Classical Guitar Conference. Who knew we'd have some of the best views (and free) from the school? It sits on a hill and overlooks the lake. Loved it!

We've enjoyed staying at Stay Home Again, the MacKenzie-Childs B&B in King Ferry. The huge 200 year old home is a maze of secret closets and entrances, monster-sized furniture, electic design, and Alice-in-Wonderland decor. It's really a fun place to stay, especially for children and the young-at-heart. It's also VERY quiet and peaceful and it has a ton of grassy space to run and/or rest. It's an easy 20/25 minute drive to Ithaca. I much prefer it to staying in town. Look for the groundhogs, chipmunks, and deer grazing in the meadow outside your windows. Also, the view of the lake from the upper windows is breathtaking.

The weather has been surprising cool. Yesterday and today it's rained, but the mist and fog over the lake was a sight not to miss.

We also shopped at Wegman's (lots of prepared food to go as well as unusual deli items). We recommend using Enterprise Rental Car. They'll pick you up at the airport (a quick 10 minute wait), and they provide quick and efficient service. They even called us on our cell phone during our flight to confirm our reservation!

Walking around the Commons was a great way to walk off lunch, window shop, and we even stumbled upon a guitar shop. There's a zillion street cafes in this area. It's safe and an excellent spot for people watching.

We hope to get to Niagara Falls tomorrow, and visit the Ithaca Farmers Market on Saturday.

What a lovely place to visit!

6. Re: Our New York trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2009, 05:33