We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which State Park to visit?

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Which State Park to visit?

Hey everyone! We'll be in the Ithaca area for one day at the beginning of June. The day before we're staying at Farm Sanctuary in Watkins Glen, and will be visiting the Gorge. I was wondering which state park/waterfall is the best one to visit in Ithaca, as I'm not sure we will have time for all 3? Which is the best one to see.... Robert H Treman, Buttermilk Falls, or Taughannock? Will we have time to do more than one, is it worth doing these when we'll be seeing the Watkins Glen gorge the day before? We love hiking, waterfalls, gorgeous scenery so we're hoping to at least visit one...which one is best? Thanks :)

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Farm Sanctuary
Farm Sanctuary
117 Reviews
Watkins Glen, NY
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which State Park to visit?

Oh yay I'm glad the Watkins Glen gorge is back open! That's great news!

Mentioned in this post
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which State Park to visit?

Depending on the direction you're coming from Watkins, you can easily get something out of all three parks in the same day. If you're coming through Trumansburg, you can cut between NY96 and NY89 right through Taughannock Falls and see them from the overlook (and you don't have to pay for that). If you decide to walk toward the base, you would park further down the road (still on your way to Ithaca) and take the very easy walk, not really a hike).

Head back down 89 toward Ithaca, pick up NY13 south, you'll drive past Buttermilk Falls. You can stop at this park (you need to pay, but the pass will be good for Treman), park, and walk the 30 seconds to the base of the main falls. Since it is directly on your way, this is a 5-15 minute side trip.

Continue further down 13 to Robert Treman State Park. I stress Robert Treman as you will pass another Treman (??? Treman _Marine_ Park) on NY89 - not the same. Do the gorge hike there, it's really spectacular. You can either start at the bottom and do an out and back UP the gorge, or start at the top reversing direction. There are a lot of stairs, the lazy person in me prefers the former.

RJR - do you know if the entire gorge trail is open? Last Oct/Nov there was a large section closed off.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Robert Treman State Park
Robert Treman State Park
1,004 Reviews
Ithaca, NY
Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Which State Park to visit?

Hi mclee19, long time no posts! I do believe that the entire gorge trail is open at Watkins Glen now.

Mentioned in this post
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Which State Park to visit?

Thanks mill, been having computer issues, among other things....

Yes, the trail at Watkins is open, but there was something going on at Treman last fall. Just above Lucifer Falls, I think, the gorge trail was closed off, you had to cross the creek and continue on the rim trail to the upper lot.

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Which State Park to visit?

Oops, I'm sorry. I misunderstood your query about the gorge trail. I just automatically thought you were referring to Watkins Glen. The Upper Gorge Trail at Treman is still closed because of the flash flood damage, as of this morning's message on their voice mail.

Mentioned in this post
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
634 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Which State Park to visit?

Thanks mill. Is this new damage, or is still reconstruction from last year? (came up your side of the lake yesterday, our final destination was Shalestone. I waved, but you probably didn't see :p )

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Which State Park to visit?

I believe that the damage is from last year. Shalestone--How lucky am I that my favorite winery is right down the road?!

18. Re: Which State Park to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:17