We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

D B
Gettysburg...
2 posts
Save Topic
transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

What is the reccomended, safest, low stress manner to arrive to JFK for someone who is not familiar with the city nor JFK airport?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,218 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

Where in "central Pennsylvania" are you coming from? If you're anywhere near an Amtrak station, e.g. Harrisburg, take Amtrak to New York Penn Station, then the Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica, and then the JFK AirTrain monorail to your terminal at JFK.

D B
Gettysburg...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

Close to Harrisburg. How easy are the connections at Penn Station, then locating the JFK Airtrain monorail?

Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

Very easy. When you get off Amtrak go upstairs (from the track to the concourse) and follow the overhead signs for the LIRR. Then buy a LIRR ticket to Jamaica and take the LIRR to Jamaica. At Jamaica follow the overhead signs to the Airtrain. At the Airtrain you will need to buy a metro card for $5 (or $10 is you are going to return the same way.) Then take the Airtrain to your terminal.

Glen Burnie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

I'm wondering how this worked out. I also need to get to JFK for an international flight at 12:50 PM coming from south of Baltimore. There is really only 1 flight from BWI that will get me there in time, not cheap, and Delta is going to charge us $100 in baggage fees round trip. So, I am thinking the train, but I am worried how long it will take to take the LIRR and then the Airtrain from Penn Station. So, I'm thinking of going up the day before, and spending the night. There are hotels that have shuttles to the airport; but how do we get to the hotel from either Penn Station or Jamaica station? Any recommendations?

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,269 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

My recommendation is to take an earlier train if you're that worried about the timing, and just take the LIRR/AirTrain to the airport rather than mess with airport hotels.

Glen Burnie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

I would if there was an earlier train. First train does not get to Penn station until 10 am.

Glen Burnie...
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

So sorry! I specified a morning train which apparently filtered out all trains that left before 6:21. I have found an earlier train.

8. Re: transportation to JFK airport from central Pennsylvania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 18:15