We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family resort?

PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family resort?

We are trying to coordinate a trip to Upsate New York with a visit to relatives in Charlestown, NH (southern part of NH) in late June.

We are a family with two children under the age of three and are looking for a family friendly resort which offers some of the following: indoor/outdoor pool, playground, close to golf course, possible day trip locations, etc.

We thought upstate New York would be a good pick, but we're open to anywhere in New England as long as it allowed us to visit New Hampshire on a day trip. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family resort?

The Lake George area offers plenty of accommodations that will fir your needs. The Adirondack Park is a huge area (about the size of the State of Vermont) with plenty to do. Depending on where you want to go in NH you could be looking at a nearly 3 hour drive from NYS to NH. I have done NH from this area as a daytrip - but it is a long day.

Lake George area offers, golf, fishing, swimming, boating, camping, hiking, amusement parks, water parks, museums, hot air ballooning...you get the idea.

Accommodations in Lake George vary by price, location etc. If you want a name brand we have those and if you want an independent we have those too. There are also plenty of cottages or cabins for rent - cottages have kitchens cabins do not.

This website may help you pick some places www.visitlakegeorge.com I suggest the areas in and around Bolton landing if you are agreeable to an independent place.

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,781 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Adirondack Diamond Point Lodge
Adirondack Diamond Point...
111 Reviews
Diamond Point, NY
Vermont
Vermont
United States
PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family resort?

Thank you for the information! I checked out the website, and I believe we've found our destination! There seems to be an endless amount of things to do and places to stay. Thanks.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family resort?

Glad it helped.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family resort?

jmg-

ADK has given you great advice. You will love Lake George. If your resort doesn't have its' own beach, there is a great public beach for little ones at Usher Park (across from George's Restaurant). The beach has a life guard, is very shallow, and has a restroom. It is a short walk down from the pavillion and playground.

Bolton Landing also has a great public beach and playground.

Also, if you have a Six Flags Season Pass, you should be able to gain free admission to the Great Escape.

One thing to keep in mind is that the water temperature is usually still a bit cold in late June. It doesn't keep my kids away, though.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,781 Reviews
Lake George, NY
George's Restaurant
George's Restaurant
385 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family resort?

ps Up Yonda Farm in Bolton Landing has a great interpretive center, nature trails, and a butterfly house if this would interest the kids.

http://www.upyondafarm.com/

Mentioned in this post
Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family resort?

The butterfly house is something we did not expect to enjoy but we all did...even the kids. It is one of those things that sounds dull but it was quite nice and entertaining. Your kids will be fascinated by it. The views from the top of the farm are wonderful too.

toronto
Level Contributor
297 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family resort?

two years ago we stayed at the Cresthaven lodges and really liked it. Lake George is a really fun area and in town they have family friendly concerts and one night a week I think it is friday they have fireworks. Kids also like the Minne HaHa boat ride.

They also have alot of mini golf like Around the world and the great escape and drive in movies in the area. We also went to the Town Houses at Bretton Woods which is a little more remote but offers drives to Mount Washington and Strorybook and North Conway with alot of family accomadations and atractions nearby. I would recommend Lake George or Bretton Woods for families. My choice would depend on cost and distance as my kids loved both

Mentioned in this post
Lake George
Lake George
1,781 Reviews
Lake George, NY
Bretton Woods
Bretton Woods
339 Reviews
Bretton Woods, NH
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
long island, ny
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family resort?

We also went to the lodges at Cresthaven...beautiful, wonderful trip. This was a about 5 years ago and they didn't have an indoor pool at the time..just outdoor. It was summer so it didn't matter. My kids still talk about the "loggin' house" aka log cabin.

9. Re: Family resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 00:19