We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black flies/ sand flies

New York
1 post
2 reviews
Black flies/ sand flies

I was just at Lake George for the weekend with my husband and four children, we had to leave early because my kids were getting eaten alive by these insects. I discovered they had alot of blood around forehead, behind neck and ears. I got really scared but then I saw the flies. I rushed them upstairs to give them showers. The flies were everywhere including the playground, the picnic area and beach. We checked out day early and went home. This was something that was new to us and I had to do some googling to make sure what I was dealing with. Stay out of Lake George people...

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
377 reviews
1. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

It is unfortunate that you had this experience. After 20+ years of being in and around Lake George I know the flies are annoying but they have never ruined a weekend for me. A good bug repellent works wonders. I hope you will at least come back and try again after black fly season. The lake is such a beautiful place.

Carmel, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

When does black fly season end? Are they only directly near or on the lake? Will they be a factor on a steamboat ride? I am pregnant and do not know if I can use bug repellent. Thanks.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
135 reviews
3. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

Has anyone found a bug repellant that seems to work well against these pests? I've used differents flavors of Off! but i could almost hear them laughing as they continued to buzz around my head.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
377 reviews
4. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

Black fly season unfortunately has no official time frame. Late June early July they are typically gone. It is weather dependent - depending on how wet it has been and how windy it is - more wind fewer bugs. Any bug repellent with Deet works best. Avon also sells a product that works well- I cannot for the life of me remember what it is - but ask an Avon sales person. They are worse in the woods and the thicker the woods the worse they can be. Out on the lake they are no problem at all.

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
2 posts
5. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

Avon's Skin-So-Soft used to work...haven't tried it in years though :)

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

A friend recommended Buzz Away Extreme (all natural) found here:

www.vitamaker.com/qh-buzz-away-extreme.html

It also repels ticks, which have been brutal this season. HTH.

Kerhonkson, New York
Level Contributor
59 posts
7. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

I remember my first visit to Lake George and the NASTY BLACK FLIES!!!!!

We took a short trip to the village and got a spray bottle of Cutter Insect Repellent with DEET.........That did the trick and the remainder of our weekend was great!

8. Re: Black flies/ sand flies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2009, 07:21