We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake George

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
38 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Lake George

My wife and I, who are seniors but active and generally world travelers (went to Machu Picchu & The Galapagos last summer), have decided no airplane for us this summer. We have never been to Lake George and would like to go for a week in August. The lake appears huge, and we have no idea where specifically we should stay. At our stage of life, we no longer enjoy roughing it, but prefer modern and luxury. Yet we do want to participate in many activities. We will have a car. Any suggestions as to which part of the lake and which specific accommodations will best fit our needs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake George

The lake does appear to be huge - Lake George is a spring fed 32 mile freshwater lake dotted with many islands and surrounded by beautiful mountains.

August is a great time to come to Lake George and the Adirondacks. My favorite area is Bolton Landing. Bolton Landing has some nice shopping (not 5th ave NYC nice) but nice for Lake George area. The Sagamore in Bolton Landing is probably the nicest hotel on the whole lake - and it is a very nicel place in a terrific setting. I recommend that if you if you want a *nice* place.

If you want to have something much more casual, then in and around Lake George there are plenty of cabin/cottage rentals. In this type of rental you may be responsible for bringing your own linens and there is no maid service (typically). But they do tend to be more private and a bit more like being at home - cottages especially. Cottages have some sort of kitchen too - cabins do not. If this interests you then I suggest looking for some in Bolton Landing, Basin Bay, Diamond Point and Northwest Bay.

If you want a hotel, but the Sagamore is out of the price range then there are some places in Lake George village that are fine. Fort William Henry resort comes to mind.

Lake George Village is a touristy T shirt kind of place. You will likely go there at least once if you come to the area - but the Village is not the beauty of Lake George.

Lake George offers so much to do, tour boats, boat rentals - available in Bolton, hiking, fishing, parasailing, nature, history (Saratoga Battlefield, Fort Ticonderoga), golfing (the Sagamore's course is beautiful and challenging - but there are many others that are lower priced) and so so much more to do.

August is also track season in Saratoga - so if you like to watch world class horse racing then Saratoga is a fun place to go. It is about 30-40 minutes from Bolton Landing.

Some helpful local websites:

www.visitlakegeorge.com

www.visitadirondack.com

www.discoversaratoga.org

www.saratogaracetrack.com

www.nps.gov/sara/index.htm

fort-ticonderoga.org/events/french-indian-wa…

www.adkmuseum.org - about 1.5 hours from Lake George

Let me know if you need more info

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake George

Fantastic advice from ADK!

I agree that the Sagamore would probably be the best fit for your needs.

If you are looking for a B&B or Inn, then try these:

The Boathouse

http://www.boathousebb.com/

The Inn at Erlowest

http://www.theinnaterlowest.com/

You will fall in love with the lake.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,080 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake George

Thaks Jkelly - I forgot about the boathouse. Great spot in a wonderful location in Bolton. Erlowest is also quite extraordinary - further away from things but a grand building.

4. Re: Lake George

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2010, 06:18