We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October with younger teens

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennellville, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
October with younger teens

We're considering a mini-vacation on a mid-October weekend with two 13 year olds. Would there be enough to keep them occupied. The water park looks a little "youngish". They're not big hikers.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October with younger teens

Im sure you can keep busy for a few days, I would however consider staying in a hotel/motel with an indoor pool. You dont have to be a hiker to enjoy NC and its surrounding areas, you can take a train ride to the Notch if your there before Oct 16.

www.conwayscenic.com/pubs/2011_NotchFares.pdf

Or a car ride down the Kancamagus highway . You also have a number of outlet shops in the village of NC .

http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

A short hike of a half mile will take you to Diana's bath a waterfall worth seeing.

nhtourguide.com/waterfalls/dianas_baths.htm

Westchester County
Level Contributor
645 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October with younger teens

I love Lake George in the fall. The Great Escape has their Fright Fest every weekend in October which we always enjoyed. Go on their website for full details. www.sixflags.com/greatEscape/index.aspx

Take a boat ride on the Minne Ha Ha to enjoy the fall foliage. or I still think you can rent your own boat at that time of year, but someone else needs to verify that. If you can rent one, the lake is gorgeous. Enjoy

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
914 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October with younger teens

Adirondack Extreme (www.adirondackextreme.com), a terrific ropes course in Bolton Landing, is still open in October, too. If your kids are the adventurous types, they will love it. What better way to see the foliage then from the top of the trees??

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,259 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October with younger teens

All excellent suggestions above!

I would add the Natural Stone Bridge and Caves, drive up Prospect Mountain, adirondack scenic railroad, and a ride up Gore Mountain's gondola. Not sure of availability of these after Columbus Day, though.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,438 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October with younger teens

Sorry about the post, I also post on the North Conway board among others and I got The Lake George Board mixed up with the North Conway Board.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October with younger teens

Along with the things noted above there are still things to do in the area even though many things begin to close by then. You should still be able to see Fort Ticonderoga http://www.fortticonderoga.org/visit/hours. There are places in Queensbury just south of the Great Escape where you can play laser tag or ride go carts, mini golf among others.

The kids might enjoy apple picking, a corn maze www.libertyridgefarmny.com/cornmaze.html

7. Re: October with younger teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 15:15