We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floating Classroom

Which Lake George hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Floating Classroom

This looks like a great family activity:

lakegeorgeassociation.org/What-We-Do/Floatin…

"Public tours. Leaving from Lake George Village Dock, we offer public programs on Wednesdays in July and August, from 10 am -12 pm or 1 pm - 3 pm. In 2013, we will be offering a program out of Rogers Memorial Park in Bolton Landing on July 19 at 1pm and one program out of Mossy Point in Ticonderoga on August 6 at 1pm. Reservations are required. $15 adults and $9 for children under 18. Call 518-668-3558 for reservations "

I hope to check it out soon with my kids, and will report back.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floating Classroom

Please do report back

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floating Classroom

Ok, so, we went, and it was fabulous!

The boat left the dock in Lake George Village and traveled to a beautiful spot just off of Plum Point. The weather was very pleasant, and I learned all kinds of neat facts about Lake George.

The hands-on portion consisted of measuring water clarity, temperature at varying depths, pH levels, and oxygen levels. We learned about Lake George's classification as a phylogenic lake, which was really impressive stuff. Lastly, we scooped plankton out of the lake and observed them under the microscopes. It was awesome, and very interesting for kids of all ages. I highly recommend checking it out if you have the time!

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,092 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floating Classroom

Thanks for the feedback - how long was it in total - just the two hours or is there more time for setup etc?

Edited: 10 August 2013, 05:31
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floating Classroom

It was almost exactly two hours (maybe 5-10 minutes more), and well worth it. If you have a chance, check it out. I have a much better understanding of the ecological value of the lake now, and the kids loved it, too!

Level Contributor
1,909 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Floating Classroom

Great information, thanks so much for your input!! We had wondered about it and ended up not doing it, but will check it out on our next trip now for sure. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Westchester County
Level Contributor
650 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Floating Classroom

Thanks for the report. We stay on Plum Point and see the floating classroom go by and were wondering about it.

7. Re: Floating Classroom

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:16