We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Island campsites

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Island campsites

Hello,

My family and I are planning on camping on Long Island in July for 2 nights, but we have a few questions. We liked the idea of canoeing to and from it, but are worried that if the weather is bad or the water is too rough, we would not be able to. If we had not made a reservation for a boat rental, we would be afraid that none would be available at the last minute. We also found out that it is much calmer water coming from the east, but we could not find any canoe rentals from there.

If we just bagged the canoe idea and rented a boat, do the rentals work for 24 hour periods or just days. Like if we rented a boat on a Tuesday afternoon, and returned it Thursday morning, would that count as 2 days b/c it is less than 48 hours? Is a one day rental a 24 period or do you have to return it the same day. We tried contacting some, but have not heard back yet.

We found a shuttle, but it is $100 each way so we may want to pay a bit more and just rent a boat.

Any suggestions or ideas to help us would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Island campsites

BBnugget-

Where are you planning to rent your canoe(s) from? Lake George Village or Diamond Point?

Are you flexible in where you drive to for a starting point?

I would prefer to pay extra and have a motorized boat at my disposal, due to the possible occurrence of severe weather or health emergency. Long Island does have a ranger station, so you would have emergency assistance there if needed.

You could change your reservation to the Mother Bunch Islands (Narrow Island Group) and park in Huelett's Landing or the Waltonians and park in the Hague. These islands are significantly north of Long Island, and also require a stop at a ranger island or area to check in prior to paddling to your destination. The main advantage would be avoiding the wide open lake which is more susceptible to wind and boat traffic. I am not certain how the boat rentals work in terms of hours/days. Please let us know what you learn.

HTH.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
566 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Island campsites

Thanks. Our plans are complicated because we will be meeting up with my wife's non-camping family for at least the majority of one day somewhere on the west side of the lake near Long Island. If it was just us we would have picked an island in the narrows, I wish we could have worked that out.

If we did the canoes, it would be from Diamond point, unless it was possible to have canoes delivered to the east side of the lake where we could paddle in more protected water, but I have not seen this option. It is annoying because the south end of Long Island is so close to land and we actually have the most southeast site that we could easily swim there without our camping gear.

As it is now, we are leaning towards just renting a boat for the whole time, but we were hoping not to have to spend so much money and we all liked the idea of paddling out to an island to camp. Maybe we will save that for the future.

Edited: 04 January 2014, 21:26
Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Island campsites

I know exactly what you mean. I wish I had a suggestion for you on the east side.

If it's not too windy, you should be fine from Diamond Point in the canoes. If your budget allows for a powerboat rental, though, it sounds like the best choice for this trip.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Island campsites

I do not recommend paddling form the west side of the lake to Long Island so I suggest getting a boat. You will be returning on the 4th (or on a weekend) and that part of the lake (even without weather concerns) is very rough due to boat traffic. Since you want to see family on the west side one day you would need to paddle out to the islands, then paddle back again to the west side to see the family paddle back to the island and then paddle back to shore as you leave the island. The distance is quite short and looking at a map it seems like it will not big problem but I suggest from a pure safety standpoint to avoid the risk

5. Re: Getting to Island campsites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Lake George