We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide in Lalibella

Wilson, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Guide in Lalibella

I just returned from an amazing trip to Ethiopia.

I am an independent traveler who likes to explore sites by myself. However in Lalibella it is highly recommended to have a guide who can show you the way through the maze of rock hewn churches and who can locate the priest to open some of the churches that might be closed at the time you visit.

I was fortunate to fin a great guide based at the Jerusalem Hotel. His name is Bogale Abey. He is very knowledgeable, professional and friendly.

He is also a Deacon in the Church and knows many of the priests in the ancient churches so was able to have them show me some of their most valuable treasures.

Bogale also communicated very well before the trip and that is not always easy in a place were internet is very expensive and not accessible to everyone.

I highly recommend Bogale to anyone . His contact information is bogale_abey@yahoo.com and his cel phone is 0911 19 85 43 ( add country code is dialing from abroad)

Cheers.

Gonzalo Cabral

Wilson, NC

Rock-Hewn Churches of Lalibela
Ancient Ruins, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Church of St. George
Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Yemrehanna Kristos
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Washington, DC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide in Lalibella

Hi there. Can you give an idea of what the cost is for the guide for a day?

Edited: 20 April 2011, 19:43
Wilson, NC
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide in Lalibella

Hi, guides and services are not as inexpensive as I thought they would be. I hired the guide for two days and included a trip to a site 40Km away by car plus a hike to a mountain nearby. All of that cost me US$ 230. I found this to be about market price for such services. Hope this helps !

3. Re: Guide in Lalibella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 21:19