We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out in gambia

Which Serekunda hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
derby england
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
eating out in gambia

hi, will be booking holiday to kaiaba hotel banjul, january, what are the prices like to eat and drink outside of the hotel, been advised to do bed and breakfast, instead of half board. also is it safe to go out at night . will there be a lot of mozzies...... thanks

NORLAND, UK
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out in gambia

Hi there. It's perfectly safe to go outside the hotel. The Kairaba hotel is right at the bottom of the 'strip' (a main road full of bars/restaurants). You could happily eat at a different place every night of your holiday. The prices are depend on what you want to pay!! You can eat locally for around D50-D100 (at the moment D43 to the £), the majority of the restaurants have extensive menus with something for everyone pocket. There are also some high class restaurants where you can pay over £50-£60 for a meal for 2. The choice is yours....If I had to give an average I'd work on around £10-£15 per person for a good evening meal with drinks. I would never suggest to anyone to go half board as there are sooooo many places to eat and try different foods. There are also many many more good restaurants only a short taxi ride away.

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out in gambia

as your so close to the strip, where there are lots to choose from, can I suggest you nip out during the day, they all have menus outside and its a lot easier for you to look for prices and food that suit you, its quietier and easier to do during the day, enjoy

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out in gambia

Hi

There wont be as many mossies as in the wet season but there will be some and it only takes one bite from an infected mossie to seriously curtail your holiday or the rest of your life! You must take one of the 3 anti-malarials recomended for Gambia Theyare all deemed equally effective by the WHO so your GP who has your records will advise on the most suitable Also use protection containing DEET and at night have at least a fan in your room mossies hate moving air Although malarial mossies are night biters another day-biting strain will give you dengue fever and filariasis both very unpleasant so you must avoid bites 24 hrs a day rgds

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: eating out in gambia

Hi have stayed in the Kairaba twice-lovely hotel,great breakfast and had some very good meals,mainly lunch (altho we went B&B) but it is more expensive to buy food/drink in there.If you want the 'safety net' of going HB you will have good food but not so much choice as out.You are by the 'strip' as said and the choice is fantastic and very reasonably priced.

For us we wanted to go out and mix with other holidaymakers and locals and Yes it's very safe! But it's your choice.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out in gambia

p.s. Please take anti-malaria tabs, your choice on 'Yellow fever' jab (ask your Doc) and maybe plug-in for the rooms,altho' air-con seems to keep most away!

Dorset
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: eating out in gambia

Agree with all the above but it is also worth checking your upto date with diptherea protection as I can testify personally that you can be at risk of catching this virus. Even my own Dr did not mention this to me before I went but when I return with this virus he ask me if I was upto date and I told him probably not since I had jab as child. Apparently tetenus,polio and diptherea are combined in the same jab now. Have a great time its a wonderful country.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out in gambia

Hi one place you must try is Sherrilians steak house, out of kairaba turn right 100 yds just before craft market on the right SUMPTIOUS our first stop on all our holidays to gambia, roll on 4 dec 09

south yorkshire...
Level Contributor
8,507 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: eating out in gambia

last christmas was the first time, we tried there and the steaks were gorgeous, although I couldnt finish mine, too much, but im not a big eater, but it didnt go to waste,

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,450 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: eating out in gambia

Fantastic brekkies at Kairaba, will only need snack for lunch. Buy bottles of water outside hotel, can buy 4 bottles for the price of one in Kairaba.

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
81 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: eating out in gambia

Just off the strip is an authentic african restaurant called Uncle Noahs...its an experience!

Get answers to your questions about Serekunda
Recent Conversations