We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Shipston-on-Stour...
2 posts
Save Topic
Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Hi this is my first post on TA and have just got back from the gambia and have met a very good new friend over there. We'd like to send some clothes,pencils,pads,etc for his brothers and sisters and would like to know the best company to use to get it there safely. He has a PO box number in serekunda and lives in brufut and i dont know whether it will get to him.

Thanks,Rich

Edited: 31 January 2011, 11:35
Brufut, Gambia
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Parcels can bea bit hit and miss. sometimes stuff finds its way to my PostBag in Serrekunda and sometimes not. We use Wynot

• tony@wynot.co.uk

when we want to send things over. You can send them to their depot in Uk, and it takes about three weeks to get here. They charge by size, not weight. Also, their rep lives in Brufut, so your friend can pick them up easier

Shipston-on-Stour...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

thankyou very much i'll give them a try

oxon
Level Contributor
203 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Hi Helled

That is very interesting - can you give any examples of price?

St Helens, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

hi been going gambia for 24 years ,use post office uk recorded delivery very cheap, surface mail. items are safe and will not get stolen in gambia , but you must post to post box i have sent 400 pound phones always delivered tax very small on it 100 dalasi no tax on clothes etc dhl good but very expensive in comparison

Ilminster, United...
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
5,813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Hi

To be extra safe use post office recorded

and send it Post Restante GPO Banjul It has to be collected from the GPO with ID but Ive never known a problem this way rgds

Torfaen
Destination Expert
for Gambia
Level Contributor
1,291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Yes, just to back up Adrian's last comment I've used the Poste Restante system 6 or 7 times and found no fault in it. For extra security put the recipient's phone no on the front - they like to use this as extra confirmation that it's going to the right person

Haydn

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Hi

I was interested in your experience of sending parcels to Gambia.We recently visited and met a couple of people we would like to send things to

A couple of questions.

If you send to a PO Box or PMB is it safe to send non recorded delivery.

Is there a limit on things e.g like 2 or 3 mobil phones.

If you send things like old mobil phones or watches do you think they keep them or sell them

St Helens, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

it is safe but for extra pound or so to post using our post office its far safer to use recorded , i send many things clothes mobiles jewelery , always get there quik and always recipeant gets it some times if send to many mobile phones they will ask for very very small tax to pay i mean very small i paid 100 dalasi in tax on it , and also they open the parcel infront of recipeant if there going to be tax to pay , a very small fee guarantees delivery no matter what in general , send receipts with mobiles to prove value as thats what they read on customs declaration

Eton, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,603 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

I've no opinion as to whether posting the item Recorded makes any difference once the item leaves the EU, but it may well lessen the chance of it being stolen in the UK! Was it 13 million items went missing one year recently?

Tanji, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,566 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sending parcels to Gambia PO Box addresses

Someone sent a mobile phone to my PO Box for my brother in law and when I collected it had to pay 400 dalasis "import" tax. It started at 500 and when I complained saying this was more than the phone was worth they reduced but would go no further. They were not happy when I asked for a receipt but I got one eventually!! Maybe it is because I am a toubab but I do know Gambians who have had to pay similar amounts.

If it is the items you have suggested though it should be fine, I have received everything that has been sent to me, recorded or not.

Edited: 27 March 2011, 22:05
Get answers to your questions about Serekunda
Recent Conversations