We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
293 reviews
Save Topic
School

Hello - we are going to Kariaba beach hotel and would like to visit a local school - smallish

We would like to make a donation to the school (rice etc) but we would also like to take small gifts for the children that are at school.

Any ideas / suggestions? we were thinking maybe small packets crayons, colouring books and skipping ropes / chalks etc.

Anyone done anything similar? How did you arrange it?

nottingham
Level Contributor
126 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School

We took pencils, coloured pencils, erasers and pencil sharpeners (heard they use razor blades to sharpen pencils) and took some to Juffureh Island (Roots tour) where there was a box for donations. We also asked a local person we got to know where there were schools nearby and he took us to a nursery/primary school near Bijilo. We were invited to watch the school assembly and listened to the children singing. It was very moving and we also saw leaflets with the names of drop off points for donations for schools. I think we picked one up when we were changing money. There are literally loads of good causes, schools, hospitals etc.although I'm not sure if you will be able to give to the children individually. There are others who contribute to this forum who will be able to give you more specific info and I'm sure they will. I believe they appreciate footballs too. We are returning in January so I too will be making donations and keeping an eye on this post. jc.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 19:20
london
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: School

just to let u know . the footballs are taken away and given to the adults be very careful

Tanji, Gambia
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School

Not always mrsmanjang! Many are treasured by the schools and the children, especially if doing it through "official" charities.

london
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: School

yes i will accept not always they are taken . but they are taken a lot of the time. tourists need to know that in the gambia .most parents put there own needs before there kids. not like we do it . we put our children first . but they dont

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School

I believe that is the way in Africa, Mrs Marjang the kids will often have a lot of chores, it used to really annoy us to see the adults sat around sipping ataya, whilst the skinny kids struggled to carry the water from the well, having said that I think Sandy' makes valid points in post 3, best going through official lines than to be ensnared by some sort of worker, or bumster from the tourist zones.

Southampton
Level Contributor
659 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School

Smallish school with not many visitors and very worthy of help is Kotukala. On the road from tuntable to Sukuta - about half a mile on the right down a road. Sign on the LHS of the road. Mr. Ismaila Cham is the head and will welcome you. Call him on 9939659 when in TG.

J

Edited: 11 September 2013, 06:21
london
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: School

the people that work around the tourist areas are not poor. they dress in rags while you are there . but when you are gone you will see them driving cars and dressing in clothes better than yourself. some of them also own several good quality 4x4 vehicles. its all a con .ive seen it with my own eyes..please go outside of the tourist areas to give your charities items and donations of rice . pls think . the 20 pound a month wages are true in the villages .but not in the tourist areas .they get everybodys t shirts .mobile phones galore .etc etc . pls pls think about it

8. Re: School

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2013, 16:35
Edited: 11 September 2013, 16:35
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School

Excellent advice Mrs. Manjang, I totally agree with you, the ones in the tourist areas are doing allright living a good lifestyle courtesy of their many benevolent benefactors from all over the world.

london
Level Contributor
164 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: School

yes chloe !

some people ,they just dont understand that the mobile phone they just left . the person is recieving at least 1 mobile a week from other holidaymakers. i wish people would wake up and give to really poor people instead

Get answers to your questions about Serekunda
Recent Conversations