We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

Church Stretton
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

Which of the above two locations is best for camping? We are a party of 4 in two vehicles with rooftop tents and would like to camp at one of the other for 2 nights, taking meals in the restaurant.

Peter Vipond

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

You can't really go wrong with either as both are in lovely locations. Camp Kwando may just edge It slightly. The sunset game cruise at Mazambala has always been enjoyed by my clients, but honestly for camping it would be hard to pick between the two!

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

I have to agree with Gemma, they are both great locations.

One thing to bear in mind though, at camp Kwondo you can walk up to the main lodge where meals are served. The campsite at Mazambala is about a 15-minute boat ride from the lodge/restaurant.

They may taxi you in with their boat for one evening meal especially if you had booked the sunset cruise. For your other meals you may have a problem or have to pay some fee (they used to charge maybe about N$ 30 pp per journey but I am not sure what the policy is now). I would advice you to ask them.

The sunset cruise at Kwondo is also highly recommended.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

To add to my previous post.

I often have to deal with this question and it is always tough.

I do have a new favourite for self- catering folk (who don't mind sharing camp with a hippo or elephant at times). I would highly recommend the Bumhill community campsite, barely 1km off the main road. Neat campsites with kitchenette and Raised decks for your tent , overlooking the Kwondo river make this a truly special place.

Also for the 4x4 enthusiasts with some sense of adventure.

I have heard that the off the beaten track, - Nambwa community campsite is worth a visit. Rustic (read maybe basic), wild and not crowded.

Linkie Groenewald - Founder- Truly Africa Tours

Edited: 17 March 2011, 21:16
Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

I'll definitely throw a vote in for Bumhill, great site and also an excellent conservation ethic which is so important. I must admit the other recommendation I have not visited yet. Hmmm I feel a Caprivi trip coming up!

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

Personally I would go for Mazambala.

Also thumbs up for Bumhill.

Note that in the same area the is one lodge that just has been closed from June 2010 (Lianshulu) and one will open from August 2011 (Nkasa Lupala tented Lodge).

Caprivi
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

Hi There!

Community Camp sites - very well run:

Bum Hill (inside Bwabwata Park, 2 km north off the tar road before Kongola Bridge,

Nambwa - 4X4 only, close to Horseshoe, 17 km south of the tar road, inside Bwabwata.

Mukolo Campsite - on the Eastern side of the Kwando, a very new camp, about 17 km down from the Kongola Turnoff.

Lodges / private owned camsites:

Mazambala (Campsite is 2 km south of the tar road, eastern side of Kongola Bridge, you need a boat trip to go to the Lodge - much FUN!

Namushasha Lodge Campsite - high on the bank, overlooking Bwabwata Park, electricity (generator induced) whole day. 20km South of the Kongola Turn off (large gravel road, good quality)

Camp Kwando: 25km south of Kongola tun off. 4 hrs of electricity (generator) in the evening

Malyo Campsite - 28km south of the Kongola Tun off. High cars needed, crossing the Mopane Log bridge is quite an experience.

More info: www.caprivi.biz - the site re-launch will be 1 August with all new additions.

Keep well! Niqui: Caprivi Promotional Project

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,247 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

Welcome to the forum Niqui and good luck with the project.

8. Re: Camp Kwando or Mazambala Island Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2014, 23:15