We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caprivi name change

Gaborone, Botswana
Level Contributor
417 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Caprivi name change

I've just seen on the local news the Namibia have officially changed the name of Caprivi Region to Zambezi Region. Although I suspect everyone will keep calling it Caprivi for a long time to come.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caprivi name change

Call it what they like. It is still a lovely place to visit.

However I would wonder at that strange choice of name as the Zambezi plays such a small part in the Geography.

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caprivi name change

There's been a few changes.

Lüderitz has been changed to !Nami≠Nüs ... catchy huh!!! and a few others...but I can't pronounce any of em :(

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caprivi name change

As long as they don't change Windhoek Beer to something I can't get my tongue round or I may die of thirst.

Just as well they don't have a Brewery in !Nami#Nus!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caprivi name change

Jeez - Luderitz is off the map??

I thought getting rid of Kaiser Wilhelm Strasse was crazy enough, but how are visitors going to search for stuff to do with Nam Num or whatever.

I'm all for preserving local languages, but there has to be a balance with attracting tourists.

washington, d.c.
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caprivi name change

It will be good for us. I went to a show with my cousins (africa umoja) recently and there was a short section where the actors spoke in a !language. My cousins didn't even recognize that it was a language

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caprivi name change

Peter has a point. How the heck can you Google !Nami≠Nüs ? (I had to move the ? a space away as it may have made a swear word!)

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caprivi name change

frequent traveller, I'm just making a plea for an interim solution, like.... " Welcome to !Nam (formerly Luderitz)."

We have "Derry/Londonderry" in Northern Ireland so as to not upset local sensitivities.

And I think the click languages should be accorded something like World Heritage Status - they are such an amazing human development. I just think it will make it difficult for people to find info about places.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,791 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caprivi name change

theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/09/namibia-co…

More interesting info on the Graniuad's site.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,411 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caprivi name change

But shurely if these measures are intended to truly eradicate the effects of so called colonialism the name should revert to M'bizi, the early Bantu name for the river and indeed, the whole 'strip' revert back to Botswana from whence it was taken?

Just askin!

Edited: 10 August 2013, 15:14
10. Re: Caprivi name change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2014, 08:17