We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nambwa Campsite

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Nambwa Campsite

I am planning on 4 nights in the Caprivi region next June and looking for a good campsite. Nambwa seems to get rave reviews from people but I can't find any information about it online. Has anyone stayed here? How did you book? I don't want to just turn up and find its booked out.

21 replies to this topic
Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Nambwa is the best in that region, community run campsite, by nacobta, you'll find them in the net.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Thanks!

Windhoek
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Nambwa is a fantastic campsite but unfortunately there is serious talk about building a private lodge there. At this stage politics are still getting in the way. If you cannot get a booking or site at Nambwa also consider contacting Mashi River Safaris (mashiriversafaris@gmail.com)- Small Kwando River boat activity operator who runs a great campsite (private campsites with private ablutions as well. Boat trip with owner Dan is a wonderful experience. We use them for all our Caprivi trips.

But lets hope that Nambwa will remain a community campsite.

Nick Buys

Nature Travel Namibia

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Nambwa is out on concession but include campsite and low key 'lodge'. Iwould not suggest it to people afraid of hippo walking through their campsite or python in the ablutions! Fabulous for nature lovers!

Edited: 21 November 2013, 19:19
loomis ca
Level Contributor
130 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nambwa Campsite

I haven't had a chance to do a trip report yet, but I will. I learned of this campsite from regular poster Chris S. It was our absolute favorite of our entire 5 week trip to Namibia and Botswana. Thank you Chris! I found all of his advice to be right on the money.

We booked through info@spitzkoppereservations.com. Relatively easy process, prepaid with a credit card, but did have to remind them to send me the entry permit about one week prior to departure. With only 6 campsites, it is essential to pre-book. They were full the 3 nights we were there in late October.

Fabulous place. Natural setting. Huge campsites along the river and only 5 or so K to the lagoon where we observed many animals. The road getting there is a bit daunting with very soft sand (about 13.6k) from the B8 turnoff. Took us about 45 minutes and we did need to engage 4 wheel drive. Important to get your entry permit into the park prior to showing up. This can be obtained across the highway at the park office. Not easy to find. About 3 k up the road towards Suswe. It is in an unmarked camouflage building on the right hand side. It is easy to pass it by. No one appears to be in the office (very casual), but if you pop your head in someone will appear.

We had a herd of 20 or so ellies visit the camp one night and we climbed the deck to observe their eating and drinking at sunset. Then, they wandered through camp to eat some more. As I was brushing my teeth before bed I had a lovely view from the ablution block of an ellie taking down a tree.

Magical. Don't miss it. Bring plenty of drinking water. None to purchase here.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nambwa Campsite

thank you everyone. Sounds magical. I can't wait

Somerset West...
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nambwa Campsite

was there last week. New gate office as you turn in, no more across the road. If nobody there just wait, they'll see you and come running across the road. Recent rains so the sand wasn't too bad, took 30min to campsite

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Has anyone else had problems booking here? Despite having paid in full in January and after countless emails and even 5 telephone calls (international to cell!) I am still waiting on my entry permit!

Windhoek, Namibia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Hi, Contact Juan Marx on +264 81 428 0512. he works for African Monarch Lodges. They are the company that has been given the Tender to Manage and upgrade the site.

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nambwa Campsite

Thanks! Appreciated, permit has finally come through so I think I'm all set!

Reply to: Nambwa Campsite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted