We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for family friendly Lake placed trip

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston, ma usa
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for family friendly Lake placed trip

Hi. We will be travelling to Lake Placid for the first time sometime in Jan or Feb for 3 or 4 days. We have 2 little kids ages 5 & 7. We are looking for a family friedly place to stay and some kid friendly ideas. Our kids have not yet tried skiing but are looking forward to it. Any suggestions for an iternary is helpful. Thanks!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for family friendly Lake placed trip

femmbotttt, as to a place to stay it really depends on your budget. Best Western is right in the village of Lake Placid and right on the lake. It is much nicer than any typical Best Western. Hilton is on the other end of Main Street but, IMO, it is nothing special although they have new section I never visited.

It is simply amazing watching and teaching skiing many kids of your children age. I observed how quickly they learned to ski and how ch fun they had. Sign them up for lessons at kids campus designed specifically for children.

whiteface.com/newsite/…kidskampus.php

If you have a car take a drive to Paul Smith's Interpretive Visitor Center. Great place for kids and there are many trails to walk on, boardwalk should be snow free.

www.adirondackvic.org

Also a little longer drive takes you the Wild Center/Museum of Natural History of the Adirondacks in Tupper Lake. very nice exhibit for kids. I noticed kids loved watching river otters swimming in a large pool.

www.wildcenter.org

Many activities in Lake Placid so on arrival check for details with the Visitor Center located at the large grey looking building of ORDA/Olympic Center on the left side of the village right after you pass the ice skating Oval rink.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for family friendly Lake placed trip

I should add there are direct non-stop flights from Boston to Plattsburgh, NY. Plattsburgh has a brand new wonderful airport, there is Hertz rental desk and is located only 1 hour from Lake Placid. Just an idea if you prefer to fly.

3. Re: Looking for family friendly Lake placed trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 11:16