We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentines at Lake Placid

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Valentines at Lake Placid

I'll be going to LA / Houston from New York 3rd week of February. As a part of vacation, we are planning to visit Lake Placid for Valentines. The idea behind visiting Lake Placid is to spend the days in totally snow covered surroundings (we don't have snow in Dubai). Now the issue is;

Whether it usually falls in 2nd week of Feb?

Which hotel room gives better views of the lake (and better service), Hilton or Mirror Lake Inn?

To get a direct route from the airport to city, whats the best time to land so one can catch the ferry?

Any information any comments would help in deciding the trip, so please.....

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentines at Lake Placid

janathar, I would like to answer all your questions but not certain what you mean by a direct route from the airport to city? You won't have many choices as to arrivals but try to get to Lake Placid before it gets dark.

What airport and what city you have in mind?

Where are you arriving from, for how long? Are you renting a car? There is no public transportation between Lake Placid and any airport in the area. If you are flying from Boston there is a direct flight to Plattsburgh, NY. Saranac Lake has a little commercial airstrip. Lake Placid has a private tiny airport. Otherwise Burlington in VT Albany in NY and Montreal in Quebec, Canada are the most convenient.

It is a kind of late for making reservation for Valentines Day but if you can get High Peak Suite at the Colonial House of Mirror Lake it is a very romantic and luxurious accommodation. Mirror Lake Inn wins hands down, in my opinion. Instead of making reservation on line try to e-mail Mirror Lake inn all your questions regarding accommodation. info@mirrorlakeinn.com

We should have plenty of snow in mid-February but one never knows for sure. BTW, I did ski in Dubai. So you can see snow there. It is an artificial snow but what an amazing place you have. I went on a business trip and my clients took me skiing. Go figure.

I'll be more than happy to give you more information.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentines at Lake Placid

When I said Direct Route, I refered a posting from another contributor in the forum that says

"the most direct route from Burlington includes a ferry ride across Lake Champlain. Actually, it is a beautiful trip across the lake, but depending on the time of day you may have to wait for the ferry and of course there is a charge".

So it seems that the best option is to fly from JFK or LGA to Burlington and no i don't rent a car but if it is the only option to get to the town then would see to it. And yes I had been corresponding directly with Mirror Lake Inn but is it the only place one can choose? anything better than that? You are right they did try (and I have to say they did it well) to create the indoor skiing area in Dubai.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentines at Lake Placid

JANATHAR

There are no longer flights from Boston to Saranac Lake,(they terminate on Jan. 7) so, yes fly from LGA or JFK to Burlington. Jet Blue, a great airline IMO, flies from JFK to BTV 3 or 4 times a day.

You'll have to rent a car (maybe with a GPS?)and the ferry across Lake Champlain from Vermont to Plattsburgh, NY in the winter runs every ten minutes--very efficient, about $20 for two people and car round-trip. The drive from BTV to LP is almost 2 hours. If you flew into Albany, the drive is about 2 hours, 20 minutes, but way less interesting!

Mirror Lake Inn is great; if you have time to reserve a lake-view room, even better. Judging by the 2 feet or so we have on the ground now (snowing today, too), I would hope there'll be snow in Feb. BUT Jan & Feb can be COLD, so come prepared.

You can check whiteface.com for ski/weather conditions (Whiteface Mt. is 12-14 miles from LP, but weather is kept up-to-dare for skiers.)

Have fun!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentines at Lake Placid

OK. This is what I wrote <If you are flying from Boston there is a direct flight to Plattsburgh, NY.> Plattsburgh has a very nice small but new airport and you can save at least 1 hour of driving. There is Hertz car rental. I never mentioned any direct flights from Boston to Saranac Lake. However, the ferry from Grand Isle, VT to Plattsburgh, NY does not run every 10 minutes. Took this and Essex-Charlotte ferries hundreds times. There are two ferries operating between Grand Isle, VT and Plattsburgh, NY as shuttle so if one left another one is coming. There is big break between ferries departures after midnight.

www.ferries.com

It takes about 40 minutes from the airport to the ferry in Grand Island. Mostly it is driving on local country roads and driving can be a challenge if there is snow, whiteout or freezing rain. BTW, Grand Isle-Plattsburgh crossing is the least scenic. Personally, I don't mind driving in snow, but a black ice can be a big hazard for anyone. Once you get to Plattsburgh it takes 1 hour from the ferry to the village of Lake Placid and again once you get on local roads slow down and pay attention what's on the road. Think of snow, black ice, whiteout. From Plattsburgh I recommend taking route 3 in the winter. It is less challenging than taking route 9N and then 86 through Wilmington Notch to Lake Placid.

There are many more lodging options in Lake Placid for any budget and there is always The Point near Saranac Lake, but you asked about Hilton and Mirror Lake Inn so, IMO, Mirror Lake Inn wins hands down. It may be too late to find the best lodging for mid-February anyway.

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentines at Lake Placid

FYI:

As far as I know, unless something has occurred in the last 24 hours, the airline that serves Plattsburgh AND Saranac Lake from Boston will terminate services on Jan 7.

6. Re: Valentines at Lake Placid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Lake Placid