We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Placid

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Placid

My husband and I are traveling around New York Sate in June 2012. We are hoping to visit Lake Placid, but we fear that two days is too long. What is there to do there?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Placid

First, you need to tell us what are your interests. If you don't know what is there to do why are you including Lake Placid in your itinerary? How long you visit in the area it depends on your interests. Some people come for two days, some for two months, some never leave after the first or second visit. To help you tell us also where are you traveling before and after Lake Placid.

Hoppers Crossing...
Level Contributor
124 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Placid

Hi. We have added 2 days on our intinerary, for Lake Placid. We love scenery and water. We are travelling across from the finger Lakes and then leaving Lake Placid heading towards North Conway. We have never been in USA before, but hear it is very beautiful. We will have a hired car so we can travel at our own leisure.

Gill

Naples, New York
Level Contributor
349 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Placid

There is plenty to do in the LP area for a two day visit. You'll see when you get there...

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Placid

There is lots of scenery and always plenty of lakes and rivers. If these are only your interests. For scenery definitely go to the top of Whiteface but only on a clear sunny day. For water, well, there are many lakes and AuSable River. Start with a boat tour on Lake Placid. For those interested in more than scenery and water we have in the area or in the village of Lake Placid museums, nature centers,bogs, olympic sites, hiking trails, gorges, notches, high peaks, ausable chasm, high falls gorge and more .

For scenery on your last morning take Essex, NY to Charlotte, VT ferry (www.ferries.com) and then find your way to route 302 which will take you from Barre, VT all the way to North Conway, NH. I don't have time (I'm traveling in Alaska) to give you more detailed directions but if you use google maps and enter Charlotte, VT to Barre, then to North Conway that should give you an idea how to get there. Choose back roads for quieter and more intimate experiences.Get AAA maps of NY, VT and NH states. Stop in Littleton, NH for ice cream

Edited: 12 August 2011, 17:29
Level Contributor
39 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Placid

I just got back from a conference at the High Peaks Resort in Lake Placid. We had a beautiful lakeview room (on Mirror Lake). Since it is the home to the 1980 Winter Olympics there are a lot of activities that incorporate sports. The resort offers free kayaks, pedal boats, and paddle boards. Just about everything is open year round. Lots of walking and hiking trails. The hotel was very helpful.

6. Re: Lake Placid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 17:16