We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 Winter Trip - early December

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
2012 Winter Trip - early December

Hi,

It's well in advance but we are coming from Australia for a honeymoon so need to be prepared. We are spending a majority of our time in NYC however want to head "upstate" for a romantic cabin stay for a few nights. A bit of research shows that Lake Placid seems to be the place with the Olympic site viewing, something different for us Summer Olympic folk, and the novelty of deep snow. The Mirror Lake Inn looks like a great stay as well.

1. What's the preferred method of transport from NYC to Lake Placid ? Is it easier to fly, or hire a car and take a road trip ? Are the roads icy that time of year.

2. Are there other notable romantic cosy accommodations in the area ? Somewhere private where we can then just walk down the road to the local shops for the hot chocolates/warm liqueurs.

3. We are certainly not ski bunnies so apart from the Olympic experience, what other sites are there to fill in those quieter moments ?

Look forward to the results

Clayton

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 Winter Trip - early December

Hi Clayton,

1. Car.

Yes, road could have black ice, snow, can be wet or dry. Expect anything and be prepared. You can take the Amtrak train to Westport, NY and the shuttle from there. You would need to make reservation for the shuttle when reserving your tickets. It is about 8 hours trip from NYC to Westport. There is no car rental in Lake Placid. If you stay in Mirror Lake Inn you can walk to almost everything. You can take a free shuttle to Whiteface Mountain. Sign up for a private or group skiing lesson.

2. There are many other places to stay in the area. If they are cozy and romantic depends what you consider romantic. Everyone has a different opinion on this issue. However, if you want to just walk down the road to the local shops for hot chocolate, I don't know about warm liqueurs, then Mirror Lake Inn is an ideal lodging. It is a beautiful place and they have a very romantic accommodation, IMHO, right on the lake. The inn has a very nice restaurant too. The main Inn is above and across the road from the lake. There is another great restaurant within walking distance from the Mirror Lake Inn, Inetrlaken Inn.

3. There are many options and all depends on your interests so you would have to do google search, read posts on this forum and then re-post you detailed question. I'll be glad to give you more input but I don't check this forum regularly so you can send me PM and I would return it to give you additional comments.

BTW, skiing in the beginning of December could be great or not so great. All depends on a weather. I wouldn't count on snowshoeing in the beginning of the winter but you never know. Cross country skiing is another great activity. Also walking around the Mirror Lake (2 miles) is very popular and you could stop in many places on Main Street for a beverage of your choice.

Edited: 18 December 2011, 15:24
2. Re: 2012 Winter Trip - early December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2012, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Lake Placid