We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

Hi everybody,

We are a group of 10 families, with kids and we are trying to plan a 4 day vacation to Lake Placid for February or March.

Because we are a pretty big group, we would like to book a hotel / motel / lodge with a family / play room so we can get together after skiing and also have the kids under supervision.

Of course we also need a decent price, although I have no idea what “decent price” means in Lake Placid. I also read about Wilmington or Whiteface but I’m not sure which one is better.

So, my questions are :

- Would anybody have recommendation about a hotel / lodge who can accommodate all of us and also be close to the slopes ?

- Since we are beginners to medium skiers / snowboarders – where should we go for skiing ?

Nobody have been in the area so far, so we do not know exactly where to start.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

How many people total do you have? Might check out rentals on vrbo like this:

http://www.vrbo.com/86139

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

We are 27 in total - 17 adults and 10 kids (12-7 years old).

I'm not sure about a house - I don't think we can find a house with 10 rooms or more ... That's why I was looking for a hotel / motel ...

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

Yea, that is a large group. The house I posted has 9 bedrooms, so not quite big enough (although it does sleep over 27 it says). The only reason I mentioned a house is that often the cost is the same or lower than rooms in a hotel/motel and it's much more comfortable for a group since you have large common areas for hanging out, a kitchen if you want to bring some food, etc.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
47 posts
3,026 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

There are actually 2-3 placs right on Main Street in Lake Placid where you can get a decent room for around $100, although I've never tried it in the winter. But I think it would be even cheaper than in the summer, when the crowds are at their peak. By the way, several motel/hotels, such as the Comfort Inn, will even look around for you to try to book you a room if their own hotel is full, so you shouldn't have much of a problem.

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

I'll check Comfort Inn - Thank you ...

Should I look in Wilmington rather then Lake Placid ? Or maybe another close town, if there is any ? Which one is closer to the slopes ... Since we are so many, we do not need a night life ...just a place that can accommodate all of us and close to the trails.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

Wilmington is a little closer, but Lake Placid will have more lodging options.

Lake Placid
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

We are located right on Main St. in Lake Placid. The free shuttle to Whiteface stops right outside our door. We have a large lobby with a double sided fireplace where families gather and play board games and relax at the end of the day. We also have a game room in our Lakeview building across the street, as well as 2 indoor pools with jacuzzis. Our restaurant Dancing Bears is very family friendly as well and can accommodate large groups. You can look at rates at www.highpeaksresort.com.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

Do NOT stay in High Peaks Resort. Comfort Inn is definitely more suitable and comfortable

Wilmington, New York
Level Contributor
196 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

Whiteface Mountain is IN Wilmington, and across the road is the Ledgerock motel which may be able to accommodate your group. They have a playroom. Check out whitefaceregion.com. Lake Placid is 10-12 miles from the mountain, but the shuttle runs frequently. Good luck!!

10. Re: Lake Placid ski vacation - suggestions ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2013, 10:18