We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and Pictures

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report and Pictures

This is a recap of our 4-night trip (12/28-1/1), ending New Year's Day. Here's a link to some pictures. I also included a few short videos of the ski jumping.

https:/…LakePlacidNewYearS2012

We stayed at the Mountain View Inn. It’s clean and efficient in a great location right in town. I will post a review shortly. We were somewhat surprised how noisy and obnoxious the streets can get at 3 am with the bars letting out. This was every night, not just NYE. The owner said he has been pleading with the local authorities forever and nothing happens.

There were many more positives to our trip. The skiing at Whiteface turned out good for New Year's Eve. My wife is not a big skier and went shopping instead. It was raining at the bottom but snowing heavily from mid way to the top. Things cleared up a bit in the afternoon. I took the shuttle from town, a good alternative to driving. You get let out right out at the lodge, plus no driving worries if having a few beverages at the end of your day.

Olympic type activities included watching a ski jumping competition, riding the skeleton at Mount Van Hoevenburg and skating on the Olympic Oval. All the ski jumpers were teenagers, obviously with no fear. The skeleton is cool, riding face down on a sled at 30 mph down the bobsled chute. I recommend getting the Olympic Sites Passport if hitting all the venues. One will save money, including 20% of the skeleton run ($52 instead of $65).

We attended the Stars on Ice performance on 12/30 at the Olympic Arena. The lower level was completely full. After skating the night before for the first time in 20 years, I can appreciate what a person can do on 2 skates. Since this was being filmed for TV, they re-filmed some of the mistakes made when the show was over. Some of these mistakes had to be shot several times. I guess they need it to look perfect for TV. Interesting.

A couple places we ate included the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery, the breakfast club, Adirondack Steak and Seafood, and Wise Guys for lunch one day. All were enjoyable and we went a second time to the pub & brewery. One negative was how could the Adirondack Steak place run out of so many menu items? Although the steaks were good, how can they run out of bake potatoes? They were also out of the New York strip streak, which was my first choice. I was also surprised that Wise Guys only have 2 beers on tap, Bud Light and Yuengling. One night we popped into Zig Zags for a couple drinks and some foosball. I definitely felt older in here, but it's next door to Mountain View Inn.

I will have no problem returning to Lake Placid, especially Whitface after lots of snow. Only half the mountain was open. We have been here in the summer also. Last time we stayed at Art Devlin's, but wanted to be closer to down town.

NY
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

Thank you ... I'm trying to plan a vacation to Lake Placid for February and your report was very helpful.

May I ask you - how much was the room at Mountain View Inn and how far away is from the slopes ...

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

The rates at Mountain View Inn vary depending when you go. Here's their web site. The shuttle stops on the hour right next to the hotel. It's a 9 mile ride out to Whiteface.

http://www.lakeplacidlodging.com/

ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

Would you recommend the skating show? Thanks.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

I rarely watch figure skating (except for the Olympics), but I enjoyed the live performance. I recognized most of the skaters. Would we go again? Probably because I know my wife had a good time. I would check their web site to see where shows are and who's skating.

http://www.starsonice.com/

ontario
Level Contributor
106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

Thanks. We don't know any ice skaters but think it would be a good experience to see the live performance of the Olympic skaters. :D

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

smac88, the ice show is returning on Dec 30th. We are considering heading back again over the holidays. Lake Placid is a great getaway for a few days. Here's hoping for lots of snow.

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

We're heading up Thursday and very happy to see the snow in the forecast. My only concern is the drive up 73 once getting off 87. What can we expect? I don't care if we have to do 20 mph as long as we get there.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

relayer-

It depends on your timing with the storm. We have been on 87 and vehicles have been unable to drive up the hills due to snow, forced to stop in the middle of the highway. I would pull off at a rest area or restaurant and wait out the storm. Many locals carry snow chains as a precaution, even with 4 wheel drive.

Be safe.

jkelly

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,545 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

Thanks jkelly. We'll see how it goes and take our time Thursday. If we need to hit a hotel on the way up then so be it.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report and Pictures

You're welcome, relayer.

It sounds like the storm won't be as harsh as they had initially predicted.

You should still take care, and consider a stop off in Saratoga if the conditions are bad! :)

Get answers to your questions about Lake Placid