We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

Which Lake Placid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. We are planning a trip from New York, Boston, AC NP, Jackson to Adirandocks. (Sept.-Okt. 2013)

Now we have found two nice b&b, seems clean and cheap, one in Lake Placid the other in Keene Valley.

What´s the best location to stay?

Our interest: hiking for half a day, enjoy the foliage and going for walk in the evening...

What do you think... we could not decide...

And the other question:

Any hiking trips you would recommend?

Thanks a lot for all hints and helpful anwers.

Beatrix

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
920 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

You can't go wrong with either choice. The Keene valley BBs are fine (read the reviews here) and there is a good coffee shop for meals. Lake Placid options are more upscale but more options for dinner. There are hikes literally everywhere in the area. You might want to try looking at trails.com. A lot of newcomers like to go to the Adirondak Loj and take one of the hikes from there.

Hudson Valley
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

I agree both are good options. Lake Placid is a more "happening" place - which can be good or bad depending on your point of view! It's probably more conducive to an evening walk (walking around Mirror Lake or along Main Street). There are many great hikes - but you would have to provide a little more detail (mileage/elevation limits).

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

I'd say it depends what hikes you decide to do and what you're looking for in terms of evening entertainment. There are many great trailheads out of Keene Valley, or from Adirondak Loj, which is closer to Lake Placid.

There is definitely a lot more going on in Lake Placid and it is a bit of a drive from Keene Valley.

I've done all 46 high peaks so let me know if you'd like any advice regarding which peaks to climb.

Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

Oh wow, thanks for all your hints.

But it is still difficult. I think Lake Placid is the better option for our "evening programm". But Keene Valley... the B&B sounds really fantastic and I wrote with the inkeepers.. they seem to be helpful and symthatic, the rooms are clean, cheap and a good breakfast for the price, they can give good advice... so what shall I do...

And thanks to for the offer regarding the hiking tours. I will come back to it after deciding where to stay. I think that´s the best..

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
194 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

Good choice.. both Keene and Keene Valley are charming communities with lots to explore.

In terms of hiking, Noonmark mountain gives you a lot of 'bang for your buck' in terms of beautiful views for a relatively short and easy hike.

For something a little more challenging, I'd suggest Giant.

Gothics is a 46er favourite but a long, challening day.

All THs are in the Keene/Keene Valley vicinity

ohio
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

Why don't you try the best of both worlds. Book your accommodations for the B&B in Keene. Since you like the atmosphere, price etc, it sounds like the perfect place to stay. Then for "more to do" in the evening you can drive to Lake Placid for dinner, walk on Main Street, take a stroll along the lake, get a cup of coffee, or have a "night cap" if you're so inclined etc. The scenery is beautiful no matter where you stay, Wilmington and Keene are beautiful and in my opinion you shouldn't visit the Adirondacks without seeing Lake Placid. The thing I like about the town of Lake Placid is that it hardly ever changes. We have been going to the Adiromdacks since the 1960's and except for a few changes over the years, it looks the same as it did then. It's a wonderful place. I wish I were there right now!

Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

Hi again,

Hi Peepsy,

now in one week our tour begins. We booked a B&B in Keene :-)

Can you still give us a hint for hiking tours. Not too difficult with nice views, till 3-4 hours. We will have two full days.

And what more are must do´s there?

Thanks again for everything...

8. Re: Location to stay... Lake Placid vs. Keene Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:21