We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

We are planning to come around 11th october from philly area for fall colors. Is that going to be very late? I know we cannot predict the forecast. Also any suggestions on where to go within lake placid area for fall color?

Mirror Lake
Bodies of Water
Olympic Ski Jump Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes, Lookouts
Bobsled and Luge Complex
Arenas & Stadiums, Sports Complexes
Lake Placid
Bodies of Water
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

I'm afraid that peak color will be passed by that time in Lake Placid. Go south for more color. I imagine that Lake George should be really nice at that time. Lake George is about an hour and a half drive from Lake Placid.

Here's a website with foliage updates for NY:

…iloveny.com/LANDING_FOLIAGE_REPORT.html

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

thanks

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

I should be coming to Lake Placid that day as well. I wil be heading south and east afterwards.

Albany
Level Contributor
315 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

The colors will still be vibrant, but not peak. You will not be disappointed. You are going to be up there during the flaming leaves festival (held at the Ski Jump) and its a lot of fun (food, beer, music). Enjoy.

Manchester, Vermont
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

Is anything affected by the government shutdown in your town? Coming up for the next CanAm in October/

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

Yes, I am aware of the Flaming Leaves Festival. It does look interesting.

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

The colors are very nice in Saratoga Springs and Lake George right now. If you decide to take a drive down this way to take in the colors (and isn't that a great way to enjoy them?), you could drive down 87 (always a scenic drive) to Saratoga Springs where you could taste the mineral waters and take a walk in Spa State Park or have a bite to eat at one of the nice restaurants in town. Then, you could continue your scenic drive east toward Schuylerville where you could stop for cider and a donut at Bowman Orchards or take a drive through the Saratoga Battlefield.

If you're more attracted to the idea of driving through more wild landscapes, you could make a loop drive through Ticonderoga, Whitehall and Lake George. There are forts in Ticonderoga and Lake George that you can visit. Whitehall has a little historical museum along the canal. You can also take a cruise on Lake George. That would be a nice way to take in the fall colors!

Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
95 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

Just thought about the Battlefield being a National Historical Park. I believe that it is closed due to the shutdown.

Here's an alternate place to spend more time in the Saratoga Springs area to enjoy the Fall views, but it's a bit of a drive. Salem Art Works sculpture park salemartworks.com/exhibitions/sculpture-park

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

I actually ended up staying fairly close to Lake Placid today, but will try to take the most southern route to Quechee tomorrow, perhaps going through Ticonderoga. I will be going through Lake George on the return trip, although that will be too late for fall colours.

10. Re: Lake Placid coming on 11th October for fall colors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 06:20