We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
68 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Thank you in advance for your help . We will be in Jinja for two nights with time to relax , raft and horse back ride. Holland Park has great reviews and looks beautiful and has a family lodge but Gately also looks wonderful but has a restaurant which may be more convenient. We are looking for something with monkeys, birds, and river views with comfortable beds and nice bathrooms.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Holland Park is indeed wonderful, and the two-story cottages are modern and beautiful. But, there is, as you note, no restaurant on site, or even really close. So you MUST arrive with food--if not meals, at least plenty of snacks and drinks. There is a kitchen in the cottage. (There is also a good sized cooking area in the tent, but I assume with 4 of you, you'll want the cottage.) Driving back into Jinja town to find a place to eat was--if I recall right--about 15-20 minutes each way. It does not sound like a lot, but when you are tired and hungry, it can seem like it! And the road right as you approach is (or was, 18 months ago) quite bumpy and hard to see much of, in the dark after dinner.

IF you know to bring food, you should be fine at Holland Park. Forewarned is forearmed. The actual accommodation, setting by the river, and owners are terrific!! the price is very reasonable, and I think they now have a small swimming pool for if weather is warm.

I really like Jinja town itself. Lots of fun places on the main street to eat and shop, Check out the old post office!! I also stayed at Serjio's bed and breakfast/inn. Even if you don't stay, yo might want to stop in for some pizza!

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Wild-water lodge is the best but its a bit expensive .. Book with Holland park.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Well Nile Porch/Black Lantern/Nile River Camp may tick many of your boxes - it certainly has monkeys, plenty of birds, fish eagles and a small pool. It's also where they took Prince Edward once, for lunch. The view however, although undisputedly interesting (right on the east side of the River) is fairly well-obscured at the moment by a large umbrella tree - they could do with pruning it!

Additional benefit is that you can all walk across to the ATV Quad biking from there.

However - also consider Two Friends, Surjos and The Haven. Certainly, the horse-riding puts in to The Haven, so maybe you can start from there as well. The view is stunning, and they have a nice, albeit small pool too. Options there for lazy camping or bandas - they do have one room that has a triple in another room inside.

Additional benefit - same side of River as Adrift.

Hopefully, that balances out. Whatever you do, you'll need transport, so whether you are 10, or 20 mins from Jinja, it's not going to make any difference.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Brovad-Wildwaters "a bit" expensive? We must have different price standards! isn't it about $500 per night ?!! i'm not saying it isn't worth it--it probably is--but there are lovely much less alternatives. And it's probably more $$ for four people!!!

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

Surjio's , which Shelley mentioned above (and I mentioned for the pizza) has distant river views from some of the rooms. Also, you can eat at the place right on-site, and you'll meet plenty of other travelers.It's in pleasant walking-distance of the little northern (more commercialized and visited) "Soucrce of the Nile." Surjit, his wife who runs an orphanage nearby, and the staff are all lovely. Prices are reasonable. (Note: There is a quieter "Source of Nile" which we didn't get to, on the south side of the road to Jinja --just before before the bridge into town I think).

Holland Park is next to a horse riding place, but it wasn't open at all hours, so check.DARN--al this talk of uganda is making me miss it. I envy you your trip, Burgh!

6. Re: Help with hotel in Jinja family of four(teenagers)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 18:20