We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging near Winthrop University Hospital/World Trade Center

horseheads, ny
Level Contributor
1 post
56 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging near Winthrop University Hospital/World Trade Center

My sister and I our driving our parents down to the city as my mother is having brain surgery. Need to find inexpensive, but decent room near the hospital. My parents are the most budget conscious people I know. They are finding room rates extremely high. They're used to $45 at Motel 6 - not that they've done that much in their lives. Does anyone have any suggestions? We want to be fairly close, but I don't have any idea about traffic. 10 miles here is driven in 10 minutes. Is 10 miles away there too far? When we came down for the pre-surgery consultation it took us three hours to get from Great Neck to the other side of the city. Quite an experience for all of us.

Also asked if they were interested in seeing anything in the NYC - not really their cup of tea, but my mom did mention wanting to see the World Trade Center site. She has to be at her surgery at 5 am. Is it feasible to think we can drive down the day before and take some kind? of public transportation from wherever we end up staying near the hospital to there and get back without a lot of trouble?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

thank you

1 reply
Freeport, New York
Destination Expert
for Long Island
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging near Winthrop University Hospital/World Trade Center

Hi and Welcome to Long Island,

There aren't any hotels/motels in Mineola, but very close by is Garden City, Westbury, and Carle Place--which all have some options. You will not find any Motel 6 level places in this area of Long Island (Nassau County). The best you might get is a comfortable room with breakfast included. Also, you should check with their medical insurance--some benefits have vouchers for hotel stays. You should also contact Winthrop--they might have a relationship with a hotel nearby for special rates for hospital patients and families. Also, keep in mind that for many hotel chains, the cheapest price is from the company website. Look into these nearby hotels:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47770-d623576-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g48864-d238129-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47770-d226211-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g47413-d99214-R…

These hotels are a good sample of what is reasonable and close to the hospital. If they are still over your budget, then you are going to have to go farther away, but please let me know and I can let you know which of the motels will be better in terms of location and reputation.

It is very easy to get to NYC and the World Trade Center from all around the hospital by train (LIRR). The Mineola train station is steps from the hospital. For example, you would take the LIRR from Mineola to NYC's Penn Station, then take the subway to WTC. But there are lots of other train stations around--there will be one convenient to your hotel--so yes, if you arrive early enough the day before her surgery, you can easily go into the city, see the site, and get back to you hotel. Keep in mind that if you want to go to the memorial, you do need advanced, reserved tickets. Which you get free online.

This is the website for both the LIRR and the subway:

http://www.mta.info/

Or you can use www.hopstop.com for directions.

Here is the website for the WTC memorial:

http://www.911memorial.org/

Reply to: Lodging near Winthrop University Hospital/World Trade Center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mineola