We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

Hi,

My boyfriend and I want to get away from the city and decided to go to Montauk in early April (4/3-4/10).

We've never been before and wanted to know opinions about a few things.

How to get there:

What's better - LIRR or Hampton Jitney? Is the Jitney worth the price?

I was thinking of renting a car, but now think that it's not really necessary...

Since things may be closed in early April is it OK not to have a car and just walk everywhere?

Would you recommend renting a bicycle or moped? We both love exercise and the outdoors, and would love to bike everywhere, but is it worth the money or even necessary?

After looking through many hotels/motels, I think I decided on the Royal Atlantic (was also looking at Beach Plum, Panoramic View, and Atlantic Terrace, but they're all closed).

Is it necessary to spend the extra $200 for beach front rather than beach view?

I am looking forward to getting away and having a nice week near the beach with not a lot of people...

but is it crowded at all during this time?

Are there things to do?

We would love to go horseback riding or moutain biking or hiking. Where could we do this?

I realize these are a lot of questions, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!!!

Melissa

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

I have used both, but preferred the rail route. When you get off, you really are at the end of the line, and need to take a cab (they are pretty much cruising around) into town - pretty cheap and we shared with another couple.

I would definitely hire a bike, brilliant sea views, fresh air etc.

I would go for the cheaper room and spend the days looking at the sea!

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

Hi,

Thanks very much for thoughts... definitely helpful information. Still deciding on LIRR v. Jitney, but definitely bikes or mopeds and beach view!

Can you rent mopeds in Montauk? It sounds like a lot of fun.

Also, does anyone know if the pool at the Royal Atlantic is open in April? If not, are there other pools we could use?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

As you are based in New York, and I am from the UK, I would defintely take the Jitney! We did it second time around and it was more comfortable (got a Eliz Arden goodie bag on seat also), and it seemed to get there quickly.

For us non-NYers it was a novelty to stop in lots of stations and people watch - that may have worn off with you a while ago!

Can't help you on the others, but have a lovely time - wish I was there!

Heather

East Hampton, NY
Level Contributor
277 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

Hi Melissa!

Hmm... LIRR or the Jitney. Well the Jitney is $51 round trip and is definitely more comfortable since it is about 2 1/2 hours to get out there from the city. The LIRR is cheaper, but you also have to change stations in Speonk i believe. I prefer the Jitney, but that's just me (especially since i like to sleep during that time).

i wouldn't rent a car. Are you planning on staying only in montauk? If so, they have tons of taxis if you need one. And with the train or the blue bus, you can easily go to east hampton for the day or other towns. You can definitely rent mopeds and people love to do that. I'm not sure on the price of them, but that's always a fun thing to do.

Now if you're going to stay at Royal Atlantic, than you definitely won't need a car to drive around town. From the royal Atlantic, you're about 4 blocks away from the center of town. Now the Panoramic View is a few miles away from town and can get a little bit expensive if you're paying $10 one way on a taxi all weekend. I personally like Atlantic Terrace over the Royal Atlantic. however the Royal Atlantic i believe offers that free full breakfast each morning. But the Royal Atlantic is quite outdated. Both are in town and both sit right on the beach. No need for an ocean view as you can just walk around the corner to see it (you can always hear it). Make sure you check on if the Atlantic Terrace is open in April. I know they close each winter for a few months.

I would definitely recomment Deep Hollow Ranch for the beach trail!!! LOVED IT! It's a little pricey, but worth it. If you want more information on whats going on that weekend in town, you can call the Montauk chamber of commerce. They have tons of info, brochures, pamphlets, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

New York
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

Hi,

Thanks so much for the advice!

Yes, I live in NYC so I think the Jitney is the way to go... seems like it is a lot easier.

I don't think I'm renting a car, but most likely a moped - maybe just for the day. I'm not sure if I'll want or need a moped for the whole week.

But I love the idea of visiting East Hampton for the day.

Is it easy to figure out travel from Montauk to East Hampton or another town? Is it expensive?

Great to hear the Royal Atlantic is so close to town. We made our reservations yesterday. I would've considered Atlantic Terrace or Panoramic View, but neither of them are open in early April.

I checked out Deep Hollow Ranch (the website) and it looks like so much fun!

What are the prices like? (it doesn't say on the website)

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. It was very helpful!!

PS - In the "ROYAL ATLANTIC REVIEW FORUM" ---- there is a review which says that room number 61 has a great view. I called and asked about that room and apparently ROOM NUMBER 61 AT THE ROYAL ATLANTIC HAS NO VIEW! Looks like it was a prank review... just an FYI for anyone looking to stay there. The receptionist said he gave us a room with a much better view than room 61 has to offer.

Thanks!

Melissa

6. Re: Going 1st Wk of April - Hotels/Bikes/Things to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 07:20