We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI & heads up to those who use Uber in Montauk...

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
1,806 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
FYI & heads up to those who use Uber in Montauk...

Longtime Uber customer over here

For those who use Uber, please make sure you check your fare and map in the receipts after the ride is done. Yesterday was my first time in Montauk. I used Uber 3 times while I was there. In 2 out of the 3 rides, the drivers took longer routes to drive up the fare. We are talking about going out of the way by an extra mile. The routes actually look quite ridiculous when you see the route map in the Uber app.

Customer service adjusted the fare for the 2nd ride, but gave me a complete refund on the 1st ride since there was other issues as well. I had to escalate the issue on social media so they could give me a refund, unfortunately.

Just wanted to spread a warning to my fellow TripAdvisor members

Cattravelista

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
18,117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI & heads up to those who use Uber in Montauk...

Uber is new in the areas outside NYC - so not sure what quality driver they have or what the local conditions are. But really - you should do this with every ride.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
924 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI & heads up to those who use Uber in Montauk...

Montauk (and all the Hamptons) are notorious for driving up the cost of all taxi service, it's a huge problem every summer. My family has lived out east for over 20 years and even as a "local" I don't trust any of them. The problem is lack of or very loose regulation, it got so bad that a few years ago the Town Of East Hampton (that includes Montauk) banned Uber, but still the local companies price gouge summer visitors. It's sad that there are so many people out for quick easy cash that they make this their summer career, steal from tourists.

3. Re: FYI & heads up to those who use Uber in Montauk...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2018, 05:18