We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Southampton from Block Island

new york
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Southampton from Block Island

I'm doing a rental in Southampton in mid-August. Trouble is, my 16-year-old daughter is visiting friends in Block Island. She will have to meet me in Southampton, or at least, Long Island from there. Is it reasonable to arrange for her to take the ferry from Block Island to Montauk by herself, and I'll get her in Montauk?

Also, what's the best way to get to Block Island from Manhattan? Are the ferries pretty punctual? She is meeting her friend and her friend's family on the island. Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,397 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Southampton from Block Island

The only way to get to Block Island from either Manhattan or Long Island is by private plane or a ferry. There are ferries from New London Ct. or Montauk--Montauk makes more sense from NYC.

She will need to take either the Hampton Jitney, Hampton Luxury Liner or the Long Island Railroad to Montauk, a taxi to the ferry dock and then the ferry to Block Island. Since the ferries don't run very frequently, she needs to plan the trip to Montauk very carefully and arrive in plenty of time to make the ferry (and book the ferry tickets in advance). The buses are subject to traffic and can be late. There may not be a taxi waiting so I would book a taxi in advance once she decides how she'll get to Montauk.

vikingfleet.com/vikingnews/…

I see no reason she couldn't take the ferry from Block Island to Montauk on her own if she's ok traveling alone. Getting from the train or Jitney to the ferry I think will be the trickiest part. Her friend's family should be able to help. If they have a home on Block Island, they should be used to doing this all the time.

Driving from Southampton to Montauk and back at the height of the season is quite a schlepp for you. Depending on what time of day she'd arrive, I'd seriously consider looking into her taking the Jitney or the Long Island Railroad to Southampton. Once again, she'd need to get a taxi from the ferry dock to either the train station or the Jitney stop, but you could arrange that in advance.

The ferries are subject to weather issues like storms and fog. Otherwise they're punctual. I assume someone from friend's family will meet her on the Block Island side.

Central Florida...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Southampton from Block Island

NYWhiz is right on with most of her information, but I have to disagree with her on getting from Manhattan to Block Island. Get a train from the city to New London, the train station is right next to the ferry dock, all she needs to do take a short walk and she is on her ferry. Once she is coming back to the Hamptons all the prior posters info applies.

One other thing people reading this should know is the New London ferry you can either walk or drive on, the Montauk ferry is walk on only

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,397 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Southampton from Block Island

pjes, curious to know why you say ferry from New London is better? Is it that the train station in New London is closer to the ferry vs. in Montauk? The train fare to New London is much more expensive being on amtrak. I also notice the Hampton Jitney offers some buses that go directly to the ferry in Montauk over weekends

www.jitneyjaunts.com/detail.cfm?item=51

New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Southampton from Block Island

Thanks. I'll look into what she can do to get from Montauk to Southampton. The ferry is supposed to arrive at 6 pm. Best

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,397 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Southampton from Block Island

The Hampton Jitney has a bus that picks up at the BI ferry at 6:20. Not sure if it's every day or just weekends and not sure what they'd charge to just go to Southampton. You should phone them.

www.hamptonjitney.com/PDFS/MN_WB_20100615.pdf

6. Re: Getting to Southampton from Block Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 07:16