We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Which Niagara Falls hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
7 posts
Save Topic
Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Hello there. So after researching for hours upon hours and reading posts on this site, you guys seem to be the most helpful and knowledgable people around! Therefore I am here at your mercy!;) We have decided to elope to fabulous Niagara Falls at the end of October (on the date we had set for a regular wedding). So, first question: any color still left on trees then? Next question: as we are on a limited budget and the bulk of our money will be spent on wheels and a room with a view (and a toasty fireplace while we soak in the jacuzzi)...can anyone recommend a justice of the peace (on the New York side) and a good spot (someone said Whirlpool State Park was good)? We can't really afford the "wedding packages" that I've run across; and we're fine with a civil ceremony with a few friends in tow....

Oh, and just to be sure..8 hours drive from NYC and no passport needed to get back into the US..right?

Niagara Falls, ON
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

I'm a little confused. Are you looking for ideas for U.S. or Canada? You mentioned J.P. and Whirlpool Park (U.S. side) and rooms with a view and passport (Canadian side).

Brooklyn, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

well...since this is the New York forum, advice for the US side!;)

By "spot" I meant a location to get married at.

I think we may stay in the Marriott fallsview, which is why I mentioned passport.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for replying!

Also, while I have your ear, any good places (non-touristy) to get a drink with the friends? Dinner? Some of us are vegetarian.

Thanks again.

Rochester, NY
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Hello,

We are in the same situation. The one thing we are curious about is if there are 24 hour wedding chapels, and how much. We understand that you need the marriage license and some time to get it, but we wanted a quickie wedding. Thanks for any info.

Brooklyn, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Hi

Don't know about any 24 hour chapels. I didn't find any in all of my research. Here is a page that lists local justices of the peace and marriage info:

niagara-usa.com/weddings/getting_married.html

also check out the ny state site:

health.state.ny.us/vital_records/married.htm

you do get the license the same day you go down to the clerk's office, you just have to wait 24 hrs to use it.

What else do you need help with? I feel like I've been researching forever, so I may be able to help.

brooklyn
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Hi there! My fiance & I are also from Brooklyn & looking to get married this Spring in Niagara Falls. Preferably retro/quaint but not Vegas tacky. Did you find anything like that?

Calabash, North...
Level Contributor
332 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Whenever I am looking for something of this type online, I go to yellow pages for that area. I even found yellow pages online for Bermuda, of all places!! If you can't find it on yellow pages, it doesn't exist. There are a couple of yellow page sites, most associated with search engine sites.

Brooklyn, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Hi Muggsboro!

We wanted retro also, and did pretty well for everything being sight unseen. We stayed the night before at The Falls Motel (our friends put a review of it here on T.A., so look it up under hotels on NY side) very retro/kitschy one level, ten room motel. Very clean and owners are nice. There's also the Bel Aire Motel, on Niagara Falls Blvd. closer to airport, but I called and called and never got an answer. The 3 Star Motel supposed to be retro too, only 6 rooms.

We called a Justice of the Peace and arranged to have him meet us by the falls ( he charged $100). We chose Luna Island at Niagara Falls State Park (NY). It's a beautiful park (done by Olmstead, of Prospect Park and Central Park fame) and there are many nice spots. Check out their website http://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com/

You do need an permit, but it's free and we were able to get it last minute. Contact (Sandra.Wilkolaski@oprhp.state.ny.us). or just go to contact page on that site.

check my links above for J.o P.'s.

If you are going to Canadian side, I highly recommend the Capri Restaurant. Great Italian food, non-touristy, and great old neon outside!

Good luck!

Brooklyn, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

I also will hopefully be posting photos (and reviews) of these places this week, now that the holidays are officially over:)

Happy New Year, Merry Christmas, Happy (belated) Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Ramadan, Dia de los Reyes Magos (and any other I may have forgotton....Festivus??) to all!!

marlene

Brooklyn, NY
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

Oops.

a verrry belated Ramadan.

10. Re: Need advice for eloping in Niagara Falls! Help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 May 2009, 16:35