We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

Contemplating a trip to Niagara Falls. Which is the best side to stay at - New York or Canada? Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
267 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

The NY side is nicer, as far as natural beauty, but the Canadian side is much more fun, if you are into kitschy souvenirs, a tower with a rotating restaurant, funhouses, and gambling.

The NY side is very 'serious'...

Newtown Square ,Pa
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

We are hearing that the Canadian side is really crowded with long lines. So we booked a room on Canadian side but the day we go we will go to Cave of the Winds and since long lines are on Canadain side we will ride Maid of Mist on New York side before we cross the bridge to Canada and check into our hotel.

Dayton Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

Hi,

The Canadian side is not that crowded--we just returned 1 week ago. If you book a pass on-line at www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/discountpass.php

you can get into all the major attractions with priority times. (and save money)This is a Canadian pass so you will have to do the Maid of the Mist on that side. By all means explore both sides--they each have their own beauty. Our favorite activity was Cave of the Winds (we have two 11 year old boys). FYI the electric company dam on the American side has a free tour (it costs money on the Canadain side--though our tour guide was a hoot)

Don't forget to take ID for all members of your traveling party. My husband and I used our passports and had birth certificates for our sons.

Dayton Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

It will help with crowds if you can go during the week. I waited in line with a Buffalo native for "Cave of the Winds"( on a Weds.) She said the lines were twice as long on the weekend.

Upstate NY
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

I was to Niagara Falls, NY this past June. I stayed there because of a convention. However, if it were not for the convention, I would have stayed on the Canadian side.

I did like the hotel I was at (Holiday Inn at the Falls I think the name was), but the area was under a lot of construction. The NY side has a really pretty park and a new convention center. The NY side also has the Festival theatre, which was nice. It has the kitschy stuff like souvenir shops, but even those are run down. The Top of the Falls Restaurant has a nice view of the falls, but the food is only OK.

The Canadian side, while kind of "touristy", still has its quiet places. I loved the botanical gardens and most anything near Table Rock complex (which is a good place to eat). And the Canadian side definitely has lots more to do, although the NY side has improved a lot since my last time there (2001).

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

The NY side is way more pretty. Lot's of trees and the state park is really nice, we got there alot. The Canadian side has more fun stuff to do, but honestly it's just a chincy version of Las Vegas and Times Square combined. Still fun though. Niagara on the Lake is nicer and very historical (its on the canadian side) It's alot like a southern american town in Georgia or somewere. They actually hang american flags at the store fronts and everything. But if your in your 20's beware.... it's full of old people... I mean OLD people lol, like in there 80's even 90's. Most of the younger peeps stick to the falls area.

Someone said the people are alot nicer on the NY side. Yes Lovejoy area is a wonderful example of that. But on average Canadians and Americans are no different lol, same people, same culture, same food, just different governments and a different flag really.

wisconsin
3 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

Just got back yesterday. Stayed at the Horseshoe Falls motor Inn. Very reasonable & only 3 blocks from falls. Beds were very comfortable. Food is expensive there. Milk & juice was $3.50 a glass at a breakfast place. Canada has the best views, but NY State park has lots to do & is very nice, clean & safe. Don't know anything about the hotels.

Ontario
Level Contributor
228 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

Horseshoe Falls motor Inn, wow that's a real um, budget place lol.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
350 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: New York or Canadian Side - Which is best

Canadian side, for all the reasons above, but if you have time you might also consider the trip into Buffalo for the Albright Knox Art Gallery - NOTHING like it near NF Canada. Also, not just with the hotels, but in general, visitors to Canada can get a refund on that nasty GST - hold onto your receipts and mail them in. Link: cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/…tax-e.html